Boathouse Discoveries

Chapter Sixteen

****

"Lydia?" My heels clicked against the wood floor as I went in search for my sister. After looking around the party for what seemed to be forever, my last option was to check the boathouse. All of the lights seemed to be off except one small one illuminating half of the main room, making things twenty times creepier than they should be. Of course I've never been a fan of coming out here alone anyways, it always had a horror film vibe to it. "Lyds?" 

Strawberry blonde hair popped from behind a wall before Lydia's face came into view, "I'm over here." 

A let out a sigh of relief as I rushed down the rest of the stairs, "What are you doing down here? Actually, you know what scratch that question...I would love to know but right now all I'm focused on is getting out of here." I whispered, afraid that somehow someone would be able to hear this conversation. "Like we have to go right now!" 

"Autumn, mom and dad–" 

"Dad knows how I'm feeling, I honestly doubt he'll care if I decide to 'go home' due to not feeling well. He doesn't want to even be here himself...Lydia...I need to help my friends, I need to be there while this is happening to Scott." 

"Our friends." She corrected me, "They're our friends. Anyways, let's figure stuff out. Okay uh, here's the plan...I'll go find mom and distract her while you go into the guest bedroom and act like you're not feeling well. In the process of distracting her I'll ask if she's seen you anywhere, which will lead to us finding you upstairs. After that–" 

A creak in the wood immediately stopped her words and I could feel every inch of my body tense up. 

We weren't alone. 

It felt as if I had a rock sitting in my throat resulting in me gulping in attempt to get ride of it, which failed miserably. The first thought that entered my mind was that it was someone here to take care of our names on the deadpool, might as well take care of us both at once since we're here together and alone. My eyes jolted to a couple of paddles that were rested on a desk, right away Lydia noticed and took one slowly in her hand as I did the same. We locked eyes as we felt whoever was down here approaching close behind us, "one...two...three" she mouthed before swinging around ready to plow into the unknown person. 

My mother let out a yelp as did I while Lydia barely missed hitting her right in the face. "Mom!" My heart flew over my chest while I attempted to catch my breath. "Not cool! What are you doing?!" 

"What are you doing?!" She asked, trying to catch her breath as well

Lydia dropped the paddle, letting out an extremely heavy sigh. "Nothing. And how did you know we were down here, aren't you pretty busy with the party?" 

"Everyone seemed to be pretty entertained so I took the moment to come down here and make sure nothing had to be done for the open house tomorrow."