34 | Mother

"Oka-san..." I muttered. I stood rooted in a spot, cold sweat breaking out. I knew Karma's mum and my mum were friends, but what is with this coincidence? Why on this day?

"Come on over Karma and Chiharu-chan," Misako called over and signaled for us to sit down. I gulped down a saliva and walked towards the table, sitting next to my mother. Karma say opposite me next to his mum.

"This is my son, Ayame-chi, isn't he a looker?" Misako-san asked as he grabbed Karma's shoulders.

"I am still amazed by how you don't hesitate in saying such embarrassing things," Mom sighed and sipped on the tea in front of her.

"It is not embarrassing at all. I am a proud parent," Misako replied. "Besides your child looks like you when you were in middle school. So pretty~!"

"No comment, you still haven't told me why you asked me to come over for, I understand we haven't met in a long time and you want to meet up, but you don't suddenly call me at eight in the mornin-" my mum said, but then she went silent and continued, "Actually wait, thinking back, it really is like you."

"Hehe. Maybe I do have some hidden intentional who knows?" Mom raised an eyebrow in suspicion, then Misako covered it up by saying, "But what matters is that we haven't seen each other for so long that even you forgot how I was like!" Mom was probably getting a little tired, at least I thought she was. There was a small smile on her face and her eyes were beaming. I suppose it was because they have not met in a long time, but I thought she would be angry at me. Karma also seemed to be rather amused for apparent reasons. There was his infamous smirk plastered on his face.

"Oh right, Karma. You get back your results today, right? How did you do?" Misako-san asked. I flinched slightly at the question and wondered how Karma would respond. He was pretty frustrated over the topic earlier after all.

Karma forced a smile and replied, "I was one of the top, but Haru-chan beat me this time. I won't lose next time!" Karma got up and started to leave. "Now if you excuse me, I will be in my room. Haru-Haru, you are welcomed to join me if you want."

I could not stand being beside my mom anymore, so I quickly got up and followed behind.

+++

MISAKO'S POV

I made sure the kids were gone and gave Ayame a thumbs up. She let out a sigh and slumped her head on the table. "Finally... I never thought they ever leave."

"I never understand why you want to act this way in front of your daughter," I sighed at Ayame's behaviour. I am aware of what kind of background the Muramoto Family is. They are an old clan of assassins. On the outside, they are seen as powerful business people, but in the shadows they are professional assassins.

"I have been a cruel mother, but it's part of the rules in our family. The ones at the top show no mercy to the ones at the bottom and in the chain, they are regarded at the bottom. I just wish I could treat them how I did before their assassination lessons started," Ayame sighed.

"Why not make today an exception?" I asked. "Act like a parent before it is too late." I poured more tea into her cup.

"Can I really?" Ayame asked with a dejected sigh as she continued to sip on the tea. "This tea is really good. Where did you buy it from?"

"My company manufactures it, I'm glad you like it," I replied with a smile. "And of course you can! It's not like the Muramoto family will send spies to make sure you treat your children the 'right' way and even if they did, the security in my house is flawless, anyone suspicious would turn on the alarm."