Chapter Fifty-Two

The black dress clings to my body like iron chains wrapped around my chest

The black dress clings to my body like iron chains wrapped around my chest. Tight enough to feel the pain of their cold iron grip, but not enough that I pass out. I'm strung in between. Lifeless even.

The dress brings memories of Logan's funeral to mind. I remember standing in my bedroom crying. It hurt to know Logan had passed because I blamed myself for it. Then, I couldn't find anything to wear. My dresses weren't suitable for a funeral and I didn't want to cause my mother any more trouble by asking her for advice. I'd felt trapped and confused.

Then the door squeaked opened and my mother walked inside. She was holding a wooden coat hanger with a black dress hanging from it. Her puffy red cheeks and sad eyes told me everything I needed to know. I didn't say thank you, but from the weak smile on her lips, she knew I was grateful. I never imagined I'd return the dress for another funeral.

I grab my jewelry out of the box and slide it on. A pair of diamond earrings and a shiny bangle for my wrist. As I look in the mirror, I tug on a fake smile.

"There we go, Ava, just like that."

Stepping into my heels, I wander to the bed and take a seat. I look towards the bathroom to see Blake struggling with his black tie. He smacks his hand on the bench when it doesn't work. He takes a deep breath and tries again. On the second attempt, he manages to get the length correct. He buttons his suit jacket and walks into the bedroom.

Blake bypasses my position on the bed to grab his phone from the dresser. London stands in her cot and begins screaming. Her fists hit the wooden railing on her cot as tears trickle down her cheeks. Instead of jumping to her aid, I sit and watch. Somehow, I can't move.

He rushes to her cot and scoops her up. Blake pats her back and snuggles her into his chest.

"Are you ready, Ava?" he asks.

"Hm?" I shake my head. "Yeah."

I get off the bed and we walk down the stairs. Blake grabs the car keys and London's bag as we walk towards the door. As we step into the backyard, Angela comes running out the house. She takes London from Blake's arms so that his hands are free.

"Are you both ready?" she asks.

"As I'll ever be." I nod my head.

"Thomas has the car running. I thought it might be easier if we went together?" she offers.

"Yea, thanks." Blake nods his head.

Blake and I follow Angela down the side of the house and out to the front yard. Thomas is already in the running vehicle. Blake takes the front seat while Angela and I get into the back. She straps London in her car seat and then we're off.

Once we arrive at the venue, Angela unstraps London and passes her to Blake. He takes my hand and tugs me through the front doors. People send their best wishes as we shuffle towards the front seats.