Chapter Forty-Six

Secrets are the self-inflicted wounds that retain the ability to kill you from both within and out

Secrets are the self-inflicted wounds that retain the ability to kill you from both within and out. It's like a poisonous ink that seeps through your body, bating you to end it before you get caught. I'm dancing across a very thin spider line that'll break at any moment. However, I wasn't sure what it was going to be from. My own sheer stupidity or the colossal amount of negativity colliding with my current situation.

"Baby, what are you doing today?" asks Blake.

My head rolls back as I look up at the ceiling. I love Blake but at the moment his presence it a catalyst fueling my embedded guilt.

"The parent group, remember?" I shrug my shoulders. "What are you doing?"

"Possibly meeting up with Jude," replies Blake.

"Sounds like it could be fun."

"Hmm." Blake leans across the couch and kisses my cheek. "It feels weird knowing I don't have to drive you around."

"I'm an independent woman now." I wink.

"Hmm, my independent sexy woman," corrects Blake.

"I should get ready and so should you." I poke his shoulder and then climb off the couch. Blake closely follows behind me as I walk up the stairs. Once we're inside the bedroom, Blake walks to the bathroom and I over to the drawers.

I fish out a white maxi dress that has pink and orange flowers dotted over the material with spaghetti straps. Stripping out of my comfy pyjamas, I throw them onto the bed and redress in my new outfit. The dress is stretchy and flows over the bump nicely.

As I walk to the bathroom, a dull throbbing pain shoots through my lower abdomen. I backtrack and take a seat on the bed. The soft cushion seems to somewhat soothe the dull sensation. I lay on the bed and take some relaxing breath. I can't be in labour because it's too early, maybe it's one of those pre-false labour things?

Shortly after, the bathroom door opens and Blake steps out. He has a towel wrapped around his lower torso and the water is still dripping from his floppy brown hair.

"Are you okay?" My eyes stay glued to his muscular body as Blake walks over to me. He gently pokes my leg and asks, "Baby?"

"Oh right, me?" I shake my head.

"Who else, silly." Blake laughs.

"I was walking to the bathroom and I got this dull pain in my stomach," I begin to explain.

"Shit, do you think something's wrong?" asks Blake.

"Nah, I shrug my shoulders." I take a deep breath and then let it go. Blake's face screws up as he takes a step back.

"We're having a small break in our relationship, Ava," says Blake.

"Come on, farting is natural," I explain.