Chapter Thirty-Six

The world us upside down the moment I open my eyes

The world us upside down the moment I open my eyes. After a second blink, the cream coloured walls and pale blue blinds of the room come into focus. A face pops up, which makes me jerk backwards with uneasiness.

My arms immediately circle around my abdomen to protect myself. When my hands slide over my stomach, I suddenly notice my little food bump is more like a soccer ball taped to my stomach.

What the hell have I missed?

I look between my belly and Blake's face, trying to piece everything together. But as I wrack through my brain searching for answers, I feel the throbbing pain of a headache coming on.

"Shit, Ava," cusses Blake. "I'm right here." He grabs my hand and squeeze it tightly. My mind circles with confusion as I stare into his sunken green eyes. His brown hair is long and messy, slightly poking up around the sides and falling in front of his eyes.

"Uh?" I moan, the words not making it out. My tongue feels like sandpaper stuck to the roof of my mouth. "Water?"

"Yes, water." Blake steps back and grabs a cup of water off the table next to the bed and offers it to me. I gratefully accept the cup and finish it off with ease. The cold water sloshes around my mouth and takes away that sandpapery feel. As I hand the cup back, I notice the beeping machines behind the bed.

Alarm finally sets in. What happened to me? I wiggle my fingers, my toes, and move my limbs. Nothing feels sore or broken, so what happened to lend me in hospital?

Blake takes my hand and grips it tightly. I'm afraid I might lose my fingers, but I don't tell him to let go. I'm afraid if he lets go I might lose him. I'd rather he keep his sanity, even if my fingers are at state. The throbbing pain of my fingers makes this feel real.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Do you remember anything?"

"Uh." I think back to my last memory, which isn't an easy task. "I remember feeling dizzy?" I offer, but not much else. I remember the stairs, my head spinning, and then nothing. I assume I feel down the stairs, it's the only explanation for all of this.

"You fell down the stairs and hit your head," explains Blake.

"What about the baby?" It would appear from the growing bump that our baby is just fine, but I need to hear Blake tell me it is okay. I don't want to assume anything, not when it comes to something delicate as this.

Blake's mouth opens to answer, but then he hesitates. Out of instinct, I press both hands to my tummy and hold on. I don't know how I'm going to do anything, but there's a sense of comfort in it.

"Our bub is fine," he starts. "We almost lost him, but he's a strong fighter!" My body unstiffens at the sound of, fine. I don't care about what happens to me, just as long as our baby is okay. Such an innocent life shouldn't end because I was stupid enough to trip down some stairs.