Chapter Forty-Nine

Blake's lips press against the side of my cheek

Blake's lips press against the side of my cheek. His moist lips leave a cold mark against my warm cheek. A cold shiver wracks through my body as we stand in the hallway.

"See, I said you'd get cold," says Blake.

"I'm not, I'm fine."

"Please," he begs.

Blake tightly wraps his arms around my body. I stare off into the distance as he buries his head into my neck. I feel his arm nose press against the skin. It's only when I wrap my arms around his neck that I notice how cold and numb my fingers have become.

"Okay," I agree. "Maybe a jacket would be nice." The thought of a cotton layer being draped across my shoulders sent warm vibes floating through my numb body.

It hurt. It hurt too much to talk about. I felt like I'd been pulled from this perfect floating bubble of happiness and thrown against a wall to pop and dribble down the surface. I wanted to curl up in a ball cry but that wasn't on the cards for me. I wasn't sure what was on the cards anymore.

I needed to be strong. Strong for Blake, our parents, our friends, most importantly, strong for myself. Being strong felt impossible until now. Everything seems possible until now.

The longest night of my life had come crashing to an end. I was thinking, but I was numb from the event. It hurt to move, to think, to breathe.

"I'll grab you the jacket. I'll be back soon."

"Okay." I nod my head.

"Will you be okay if I leave?" 

"I'll be fine." I tug on a brave smile.

"If you're not, just say." Worry consumes Blake's piercing green eyes. I want to steal the worry from him.

I felt at blame. It's my fault and I'll never be able to forget myself. I just can't.

"I'll be right here when you get back Blake, don't worry about me."

"Okay." He nods.

Blake plants a kiss against my lips before sprinting down the hallway. His shoes skid against the bashed up off white lino as he rounds the corner. One of the nurses yells at him to stop running but from the sound of the heavy foot falls, he doesn't listen.

I take a step towards the window and press my hand against it. The cold window doesn't phase me much. Nothing had changed since the moment they put my baby in the incubator. It was hard to understand if that was good. Of course, stability was important, but progress would be better.

Shoes scuffle across the ground, but it's Kyle walking towards me. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and tugs me to his chest. His lips press a soft kiss against my forehead as I cuddle into his chest. The warmth of his body seeps into my cold frame. That jumper will sure be nice.