Chapter Eight

The sound of hushed voices and a groggy sense of direction makes me realise I've been sleeping

The sound of hushed voices and a groggy sense of direction makes me realise I've been sleeping. The uncomfortable position of my body makes my neck ache and my back hurt. Slowly, my eyes flutter open and I see Blake's face come into view. His face is blurry, but after a few blinks I notice the array of concern sprawled across his face. Blake's green eyes bore into mine uncomfortably.

"What's wrong, Blake?" I ask.

"Shh, baby," he softly replies.

As I move to sit up, I notice I'd fallen asleep against Tori's leg which is why my awkwardly angled neck is ringing with pain. She softly smiles at me, the kind that tells you, 'keep going, you're doing great.' She's got a half-awake London curled in her arms which makes me feel a bit better.

The concept of us being friends is weird. I don't know how I feel about Tori and I sharing this moment. Confiding in her about my worries is an unusual thing, but crying and falling asleep in her arms is any other things. If it were Kyle, I wouldn't bother questioning it as that seemed to be our daily routine just months ago. But Tori? I'd always thought she'd never like me. With her reassuring gaze, the clenching within my stomach hinted we'd be more than just passing acquaintances.

If Blake and I are to stay together, Tori will always be there beside us for London. Perhaps becoming friends wouldn't be a bad thing. I know we've had some issues in the past, but not just for the sake of London, but for ourselves, perhaps I owe it to us to see if we can be friends.

I want to be the kind of person that overlooks the crazed emotions of a difficult time to see who Tori is on the inside. Tori can't be that bad if Blake had a long relationship with her. But my mind wanders back to Angela's warning. If she can act like that with an emotive incentive, what's to say the damage she could do without it.

Would I risk the fear of Tori's wrath for a chance of something more than awkward greetings, I'd like to think I would.

"It's time to feed London, Tori. Everything is still in the kitchen for her bottle," says Blake.

"Yeah, sure." Tori leans in to half hug me before getting off the bed to head downstairs. Once Tori is gone from the room, Blake closes the door and occupies the space beside me. He immediately wraps his arms around my body, tugging me to his chest.

"Why are you upset?" As Blake runs his fingers over my back, the sensation tingling through my body makes me shiver with delight. I haven't figured it out, but when he rubs my back, there's an instantaneous feeling of weightlessness inside me.

"The stress of looking after London with the combination of being sick is taking a toll on me," I admit.

"I'm sorry," he says, pressing a kiss against my forehead. "I promise to help more, I know I haven't been supportive over the last couple of weeks. After work, I'm exhausted."

"I know, Blake," I reply. "I just need small breaks to take a bath or go for a walk."

"I'm glad we can talk this out," he admits.