Chapter Forty-Two

With a purple balloon the size of my stomach, I tie the end off and throw it onto the ground

With a purple balloon the size of my stomach, I tie the end off and throw it onto the ground. Angela walks into the room with a long pink 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' sign in hand. The amount of effort she's putting into London's birthday is terrifying, yet exciting. I'm expecting a mini circus in the backyard accompanied by a live music set, and a bar in the far corner.

"I was thinking about hanging the sign here." Angela points to the space behind the television. "It's the only clear space you can see directly as you walk into the lounge room."

"Yeah, looks good." I nod my head.

"Or should I have it here?' Angela looks over her shoulder to the space above the couch.

"The couch will look better for photos," I add.

"Good point, Ava." With a huff, Angela wizzes out of the room. I keep blowing up the balloons until I've finished the packet. The floor is slightly filled with balloons but not enough that you can't see the floor.

Since the balloon task is complete, I exit the room to find Angela. As I'm walking down the hallway, I hear voices coming from further up. As I walk into the kitchen, I find Angela and my mother. With the plastic shopping bags on the counter, it gives me the impression she just arrived.

"Hi." I smile. "The balloons are done. What should I do next?"

"I have a photo booth that needs to be set up," explains Angela.

"Really?"

"Yes, the children are going to love it!" Angela grins happily.

"Who did you invite?" I ask.

Angela looks through the shopping bags until she finds a packet of cardboard props. She hands them to me and laughs.

"I invited everyone." The comment makes me frown. I don't think Blake and I know enough people with children for a party.

"Okay." I nod. "Where should I set this up?"

"Just outside. I put Blake in charge of the photo booth," she mumbles. "I hope it's done."

"I'll make sure it gets done," I say.

With the packet in hand, I walk to the backyard. Blake is assembling a display against the side of the wall. There's a huge banner that reads 'LONDON'S FIRST BIRTHDAY' with glittery writing.

"Hey you," I say.

"Is there something wrong?" asks Blake.

"No, just checking on you, and oh." I hold up the bag of props. "These are for your booth."

"Ah, perfect." He smiles. "I was worried Mum expected me to make these too."

"No." I laugh. "I'd expect her to make you dress up as Elsa or something."

"What?" He frowns. "Why can't I be a cuddly bear?"

"You're my cuddly bear." I wink.

"Hmm." Blake wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my lips. "Do you want to take a picture?" He eyes off the camera clipped to the stand.