Chapter Thirty-Nine

Blake's incessant suffocation eases the moment he receives a phone call

Blake's incessant suffocation eases the moment he receives a phone call. The slender device dances across the coffee table to the tune of Hotline Bling by Drake. I laugh at the choice or ringtone while Blake groans in agony.

"Can we just ignore it?" asks Blake.

His warm arms wrap around my body as he snuggles his face into my neck. The movement of his face brushing against my neck makes me giggle.

"Blakie, stop." I gasp for breath.

"Sorry," he murmurs.

"You can ignore it, but you should answer it." Since I'm closer to the table, not by much. I lean across and grab the phone.

"Who's that?" he asks.

With a shrug, I pass it over my shoulder and wait. Reluctantly, Blake takes the phone from my grasp. My gaze flickers back to the luminous television screen for a brief moment. I watch as the characters flicker across the screen before giving into temptation. I'm curious about the phone call.

I shuffle to the side so that I can look over my shoulder. A thoughtful expression wanders across Blake's face as he listens. His eyebrows scrunch up as he glares at something in the distance. I can't hear what's being said, but the displeased look makes me worried.

"Okay, I'll be there soon." Blake throws his phone onto the table, which makes an awful clattering noise against the glass. The loud sound makes me wince. I could never through my phone, it's like my third baby.

"That bad?" I ask.

"Yes, work called. I have to go," he explains.

"Oh, that's no good." I huff with disappointment.

    I know I should feel bad, but there's a sense of excitement bubbling in the depths of my stomach. Blake has spent the last three days hovering over me like a child. It'll be nice spending a couple of hours by myself. I can stretch out or take a bath without being questioned. I love that he cares so much about me, but I wish he'd care a little less.

     "I want to stay with you." He presses a kiss against my shoulder blade.

    "The sooner you leave, the sooner you come back, right?" I smile. Despite my vibrant smile, it doesn't shake the gloomy look plastered on Blake's face. His frown only deepens as he get off the couch. I scurry to my feet as I follow Blake up the stairs.

    With ease, Blake takes them two at a time. I struggle to keep up with him, but I manage to make it up without pain or assistance.

    I take a set on the bed and watch Blake buzz around the room. He grabs his work clothes from the drawers and begins changing. He pulls off his pyjamas and discards them on the ground. Since I'm incapable of doing anything, Blake's been managing the house - washing included. I hope he knows he'll be picking those clothes up later.