Chapter Fifty

Blake tightly squeezes my hand as he shoots me a playful grin

Blake tightly squeezes my hand as he shoots me a playful grin. My heart thuds in my chest and my hands sweat with nerves. Blake tries to tug me closer to the incubator, but I hold my position for a split second. Blake's strong hold on my body causes my shoes to skid across the ground. We get closer to Ivan and I instantly melt. The fear begins to trickle away as love and adoration consumes my body.

"You can hold his hand," says Blake.

As an example, Blake reaches through the incubator and strokes his little arm. Ivan twitches from the gentle touch.

"I'm afraid," I admit.

"Of what, breaking him?" jokes Blake.

"Yeah." I nod my head.

"Baby, you won't break him." Blake hooks his arm around my waist and kisses my head. I feel his chest vibrate against my shoulder. I can't believe he's laughing at me.

Blake doesn't understand what this feels like. I've spent so much time talking to my tummy, then a few hours gazing through a window while we waited on news. Being so close, to the point where I can reach out and touch him, to stroke his perfect little fingers or hold his hand.

This moment feels surreal. I'm afraid if I reach out and touch Ivan, this moment will shatter into a million pieces. Then I'll be left alone and afraid. I'm terrified of losing him and this perfect moment.

"I'm right here," whispers Blake. "We're not going anywhere."

"Okay." I nod my head.

Slowly, I shuffle closer to the incubator and bend down so that I'm on his level. I look through the clear plastic for a moment and just watch. I put my arm through the incubator and stroke the back of his arm. His skin feels soft against the pad of my finger. I trail my finger down his arm and hold his hand. Ivan wraps his fingers around my finger and gently squeezes it.

"Aw," I whisper. "He's so precious."

"He." Blake pats my shoulder. "He won't break. We're still here."

"Shh." I jab my elbow into Blake's side which earns me a pout and a laugh.

Blake grabs a chair from beside the far wall and brings it to the incubator. I slide it across in my direction and then points to it.

"Thank you." I smile.

Taking a seat, I lean forwards and poke my arm back through. I stroke his cheek, his other arm, and then I grab Ivan's hand again.

Blake grabs his own seat and pulls up beside me.

"You, my little man, are causing your mumma and I a lot of stress," says Blake in a playful tone.

"I don't think you're supposed to tell our baby that!" I whack Blake's shoulder and frown at him.

"You're our little fighter and you're doing a good job." My eyes scan over the machines with worry. I knew it was too early. But there was nothing we could do, this little miracle insisted on being born. I don't know what is so important, but here he is.