Chapter Twenty-Three

Without delay, Kyle and I arrive on the outskirts of the graveyard

Without delay, Kyle and I arrive on the outskirts of the graveyard. The car's hum is silenced along with the murmur of the radio, which leaves an eerie silence that gives me chills. I turn towards Kyle to see him pocketing the keys before I look out the window.

The sight of the garden lights shining up in the trees creeps me out. I suppose this would be pretty when the trees are bloom with leaves and small flowers, but with the turn of the season and the leaves now falling from its branches. . . I feel as if we're about to walk into a horror movie.

I want to go home and hide under my blanket, but I force myself out of the car and down the broken coble pathway that leads into the cemetery.

I've never been a fan of these places, but who really is? A place that remind you of the inevitable, the things you simply can't out run. . . Dying scares me, it completely scares the crap out of me.

Kyle trails behind me with a silly half grin on his face. I don't know how he can smile like this, I feel as if my happy self was left at the broken iron gate. I don't know how you can walk through the threshold with anything but sadness.

"Why are you grinning like a cat?" I call over my shoulder, a puzzled expression playing on my face.

Kyle starts jogging to close the short distance between us. As he falls in line with me, he slings his arm over my shoulder and tugs my body closer to his side. Without hesitation, I wrap my arm around his waist for warmth and comfort.

"Ava baby, do you think there are ghosts roaming around?" he whispers into my ear, a teasing tone evident in his deep voice.

"Ew, no, please don't say that." I elbow Kyle in the stomach, which earns me a playful glare. The thought of encountering a ghosts makes me shiver. I cross my arms over my chest and burrow under my jacket for extra warmth. Kyle is ridiculous, but now I'm scared.

We walk further down the pathway, but not too far from the main entrance. Kyle keeps his arm wrapped around my shoulders until we stop in front of his gravestone.

It's just like every other stone – simple but with an engraving marking it. It's funny how people live such extraordinary lives and have so many of these amazing tales to tell, yet their life is marked with nothing but a few sentences everyone else uses. . . Loved by many, will be missed. . .

Those words were right, but it didn't make his memory live on, it wasn't a permanent reminder of anything but death. When we find our inevitable death inside a coffin, his legacy will die, just as everyone before us did. Not everyone is remembered, just as not everyone is forgotten.

I sit in front of the stone and run my finger over the engraving. The stone feels cold under my finger, but the writing feels someone comforting to read.

"How are you feeling now?" he asks.

Kyle takes a seat behind me and places his hands on my hips.