Starting Fresh

Rachel’s POV

Risotto, it can’t be that hard to make, right? Well that’s what I thought but I was so, so wrong. Nothing is going as planned. Finn was coming at 6:30pm and its now 5:30pm. I set the table at 4 o’clock, but then Spencer came over and told me that it was too much, so I had to do it all over again, which made me fall behind schedule. Now here I am, stressing and nearly setting my kitchen on fire. I set the pot on the stove to low and I run upstairs to my room. I walk to the closet and see my options. Should I go sexy or sweet?

I decided on both, I pull out a short dress that was covered by white lace, I bend down to pick up my gold heels and smile as I step back and take a look at my outfit that was laid out onto my bed.

Rachel's dress is the picture 

I pull the dress over my head but stop just before my arm goes through the sleeve, I tilt my head and look down to my chest. Should I wear a bra? I think about it for a moment and decide not to wear one. I take my bra off and pull my dress all the way down. I hear a knock at the door and my head snaps in the direction of my alarm clock on my bedside table, its only 5:50pm. Whoever is on the other side of the door knocks again, and I rush to answer without even noticing a tug on my ankle. I look down and see my gold star push up bra strap tangled around my ankle. I take it off and place it on my hallway table, just then my door flings open. It was Spencer.

“What the hell, how did you open the door?” I ask shocked.

“I’m good with a bobby pin.” I hear her laugh and I know it’s not because of the comment she made. It was because she saw my bra on the table.

“Finn’s already been here I see.” she chuckles.

“No he hasn’t, but he will soon so you have to leave.” I try and push her towards the door but she moves away which causes me to fall face first.

“I left my phone and I don’t want my notifications interrupting your lovers’ sash!”

“SPENCER THAT’S ENOUGH, YOU GOT YOUR PHONE NOW GET OUT!!!” I yell.

“Relax Rach, save your energy for tonight.” She says making her way out the door.

 I look over to my clock and I see that its 6:20pm. I make my way to the kitchen to check on my dish, and see that it’s ready. I jump with joy as the delicious scent hits my nostrils.

I take one last look in the mirror to check if I didn’t look like Shrek’s daughter. And I didn’t (thank God).

I hear the doorbell ring and I instantly feel like I can’t breathe. I stand there not knowing what to do. When I hear the doorbell ring again, I was reminded what I was meant to do. I walk to the door and open it. His appearance hits me straight away, grey button up shirt, black faded jeans that fit his butt to perfection and how can I forget his light stubble on his face. Normally guys would shave before coming to lady’s house, but this wasn’t a date though. At least I think it’s not.

“Hey Rachel, are you ok?” He says while waving his hands in front of my face.

“Yeah of course, please come in.” I offer to take his coat and he nods and gives me a grateful smile. I place it on the coat rack and ask him if he would like a drink. When he doesn’t answer me I turn around and see him looking around laughing.

“Look, I know the last time you were here things didn’t go so well, so let’s just be adults here ok?” I make my way to the fridge.

“Hey, I’m the only one being an adult here.” he says putting his hands up for defence.

I laugh at his comment and know that he’s joking.

“Hey Rach, nice bra.” I turn around once again, but this time I was like a comet.

“Nice br?-“I stop talking when I realise that he was talking about the bra that I forgot to take off the table. I feel my checks turning warm and the blush appearing on them.

“I think I’ve seen them before, oh yeah I remember. I saw you showing them to your girlfriend.”

Ok now he was just being immature. I know he was talking about the magazine and it kills me to think of him reading it.

“Do you want dinner or not?” I snap at him. Two can play at this game.

‘Yeah sure, I miss your cooking, Quinn’s tasted like crap.” Well now he just made everything awkward, now what?

I grab the plates and start to serve, as he takes his seat I see him looking at a photo.

“Are you ok?” I see his jaw tighten.

“Is this your boyfriend? Is he the reason you don’t want to be with me?” I try and control my laughter but I just can’t.

“That guy in between me and Spencer is her cousin, he does shows with us……………and he’s gay, so no he isn’t the reason.”

The look of embarrassment on his face was priceless as he sits down at the table. The rest of the dinner was awkward, the only noises you could hear was the sounds of forks and knifes making contact on the places. After the meal, he offers me help with the dishes, and I agreed. That just made it more awkward because we still weren’t speaking, all we were doing was washing and drying, well he dried and I washed.

I started to stack up the plates back where they belonged, then he finally broke the longest awkward silence I’ve ever experienced.

“I’m sorry.” he simply said.

“What for?” I ask standing up and walking towards him.

“Well for being a jerk to you.” he says.

“You haven’t been-“He interrupts me by grabbing my hands in his and saying:

“I have, and you don’t deserve that.” I smile at his words. He was still the handsome gentleman that I remembered from so long ago.

“I baked some choc chip cookies, I know how much you like them. We can have some with milk and watch a movie.” he nods and I tell him to go find a movie for us to watch and I go and get the cookies.

We were half way through the movie when Finn pauses it. I was a little pissed because I was enjoying it. It looks like he realises that I’m a little angry, so he says:

“Sorry, I just have to say something.” My anger soon drifts away and I nod for him to keep going.

“First of all, these cookies are kick ass.” I giggle at that remark, it was typical Finn language.

“And secondly, I want us to start again.” Ok, now I’m a bit confused.

“You want us to start the movie again?” I ask unsure of what he meant.

“No us, you and me.” He mumbles seriously.

“I’m a little confused.” I utter.

“Ok, ever since we’ve seen each other it’s been awkward because I was married to Quinn, but I’m getting a divorce so she’s out of the picture and I think we should start fresh.”

“Start Fresh?” I ask.

“Yea, Starting fresh. Let’s forget the past and let’s live the future.” he nods.

I have no other way to answer him but to give him a hug, so that’s exactly what I did.

I really missed his big bear hugs, I always felt safe in his arms. And I still do to this day. Only difference was, we were dating then but we’re friends now and I’m fine with it. At least I think I am.

Voting and Commenting is Love!! :)