Chapter 32

Day 31

Kai's POV

"Where's your homework?" Haeri tapped my desk with piled of papers in her hands. I handed her mine without other words. She walked out of class as I wrote something to finish off my incomplete notes.

Later, when it was English class, Mrs Jang give out our homework that Haeri just sent to her awhile ago.

Surprisingly, my name was last. Mrs Jang let out a disappointed sigh before calling out my name. She handed my paper as she said, "I'm disappointed on you, Kai."

Those words make me confused. Once I looked at the paper, I was shocked. All the use words are inappropriate and error.

"T-This is not my paper," I protested. "This is not my handwriting even."

"But your name's written there," she said.

"This is not mine," I shook my head. "Mrs Jang, you know my performance. I would never do this."

Then Haeri scoffed, which was unusual. "You're just too upset to admit it's yours because it has a very low mark."

"Kai, take your seat please and just improve your next composition. That will do," she gestured me to sit on my seat.

Once I took my seat, I crumpled the paper in my fist. I saw Haeri glancing back at me and I know there's something wrong. It must be her work but if I said that, no one will believe it. Neither do I.

----

It was curriculum period. I have soccer ball so I changed my clothes. I searched for my soccer shoes in the locker but was surprised when I want find it. That's weird. I'm sure it's here this morning.

"What's wrong?" Sehun asked noticing my uneasiness.

"My shoes. They're gone," I said.

"Are you sure it was here?" Sehun asked as he rummaged for my shoes too. "It's not here though."

"See," I bit my lower lip as I ran a hand through my hair. "Someone must've took it."

"Just use mine. I have another," he offered. I have no choice so I accepted the offer.

When we walked out from the changing room, Haeri was just passing by. "Hi Haeri!" Sehun grinned. She waved a hand with her sweet smile. I look at her without expression but before I knew it, she's looking down on my shoes. Then she walked away.

That's weird. It must be her job too then. First English, then my soccer shoes. What's next?

----

"Do you really think you can beat me?" Haeri's smirked was so deadly. I don't know what makes her to change this evil after these few days.

We're alone in the classroom. It was dismissal but Haeri stayed behind. When I was about to step out of the classroom, she blocked me. It was so confusing. She didn't talk much yesterday. To be precise, after she woke up from her unconsciousness the other day. Or maybe she did and I just never witness it.

I never seen her smile from that day. What happened to her?

"What are you talking about?" I asked coolly. "I don't get a thing so step off."

"I'm not backing off easily, Kim Jongin. You and your family need to pay for this," she said through gritted teeth.

I don't get a thing she's saying. But I can see somewhere in her eyes that there's a glint of sadness. Is she being real?

"Your family wanted to bring me down. In order to do that, they take my family away. Once I'm broke, I'm distracted. That's your sly trick, isn't it?" She scoffed. "Let me tell you, it won't work. Sadly, it'll never work."

"Stop talking gibberish," I said bluntly.

"It's not gibberish. The men that came to my house the other day, they killed my mother, it's all your parents' work, right? The car that try to hit my father, it's your parents' too. And now, I know, you're trying to be kind to me only to betray me soon. You're pathetic," her lips trembled as she said those words.

Honestly, I was shocked. Who in the world told her such things. Why is she believing some sorts of stupid stuffs.

"Haeri, this is not you."

"Then how do you think I actually am?! Don't talk as if you know me that much!" She shouted as tears started to fall. "You did it. You broke me but I won't be broken forever."

Before she left, I grabbed her wrist and turned her around. Her eyes were red from the tears she's been holding.

"You've changed. You know I'm not that type of person. Don't you remember our friendship back then?" I reminded her. "You know me as your friend. You relay on me a lot. We used to tell each other's pain. Don't you remember? That our friendship ended in a bad way because of my accusation?"

"I don't want to remember," she looked down on the floor.

"Haeri, I just wanted to ask you one thing," I admitted. She looks at me in the eyes. Her eyes filled with sadness but along with that, there's a pleading. Like she's trapped somewhere and needed help. "What happen if I apologize to you?"

She stayed silent. "I wanted us to be back again, can't we? I'm sorry for acting cold and rude to you. I wanted you to tell me all of your pain. Exchange secrets like we used to do, can't we?"

She firmly took her wrist from my grip. "Stop reminding me of the past, you freak. That won't do. I will never forgive you after what you've done to my family."

She left.

She left the room. Letting the atmospheric pressure surrounded me. The silence killed my eardrums. I just let out a sigh. She's changing. What makes her think that I caused her life to fall apart?

Again, she left me like how she left me before. She left me and never come back. We used to be a very close friend.

I was waiting at the park for her presence, but she never come. Frustrated, I came to her house.  On my way to her house, I texted her, asking why she didn't come. She replied saying that she's busy for finals.

I sighed and believe her.

On the way back home, I saw a familiar girl. Little did I know, it's Haeri. Didn't she said she's busy with finals? What is she doing here? With a boy?

Feeling betrayed, I walked up to her and she seems shocked to see me.

"Finals?" I asked instantly. "Busy with finals? Really Kim Haeri?"

"K-Kai, listen -"

"Is there anything to listen to? I was damn tired waiting for you and you said you're busy with finals. I told you I need to tell you something but I believe you that you're busy with finals. But here you are, busy with a boy."

"Kai -"

"Shut it. I don't know you, you get that? You betrayed me."

I still remember those memories. I remember the unknown guy back then was actually Sehun. He did explained to me that everything was a misunderstanding back then. But I told him it was too late. That my friendship with Haeri had already fallen apart.

Feeling sorry for accusing her, I sent her letters and placed it in her locker. But I'd stop it now. It was an attempt to cheer her from afar since I can't approach her and cheer her up close.

She hates me and I hate myself too.

For once I finally realized how hard apologizing actually is. Even saying the word sorry make my tongue twist.