Chapter- Fifty-five

I stirred in my sleep a lot last night. I haven't been getting the best rest I need. Work has been bombarding me with multiple tasks and little time to complete them. When I got home last night, which was close to one in the morning, I literally dropped onto the bed without changing. I was glad to roll into Oliver's arms and drift to sleep. Then my stirring began an hour or two later. I kept turning over to get comfortable. I realized that I was uncomfortable because I was still in jeans and a blouse. So I took them off thinking that, that would help my situation. I went back to sleep, but no luck. I tossed and turned some more. I laid across Oliver, I tried sleeping at the other end of the bed, I  bundled up in the covers, but still nothing helped. I angrily ripped the sheets off of me and took a shower. I rinsed off the week of work that lingered on me. Once I was done, Oliver was still not up. I slumped over and dragged myself into the kitchen. I ate a decent breakfast and cleaned up. I took a seat on the couch and turned on the television.

Oliver's POV-

I felt her fall into bed after aimlessly working for numerous hours. Seeing her stressed out, stresses me out. I instantly wrapped my arms around her, noticing she didn't bother to change. I knew she forgot about her birthday. She always did but she would remember the night before. She has completely forgotten, which is good for my plan. No, I'm not proposing to her, not yet at least.

As the hours passed, I knew she had gone for a shower. She goes in there to think and relax. Sometimes she doesn't realize she starts to sing. It's quite bad, her singing, but it makes me happy. Just hearing her voice let's me know she's not fading. We all have our ways of coping, her is the shower. She is my way of coping. Just having her in my arms or just being around me, makes me let go of anything that is bothering me. It's amazing, really, how she has this effect on me. When we are in the same room, it's like there's a natural pull to be together, be close. I can't resist her, she has this magic aurora of love that hangs around her. It's in every touch, every kiss, and anything she does.

It's why I haven't told her about quitting football. I knew it would only last so long, but it's not what I want. I want to be with her. I don't need to be apart from her. I know she'll be happy that I want to spend more time with her but she'll be disappointed I changed my mind. She knew I've always wanted to do something with football. But now, now I want to do business. I can help support us, making good money and being able to have normal office hours. If we want kids, I want to be around. I want be able to support the family financially. I don't want us to live off college food for the rest of our lives. I want us to be successful and happy. I'm not doing it for her, I'm doing it for us.

So back to reality.

I pulled the covers off my bruised body from practice. I headed into the bathroom to wash up a little. I could hear that the television was on, I knew she'd fall asleep soon. She always did when she watched something. Since she hasn't gotten much sleep, she was definitely going to fall over. I walked out and saw that was packaging clothing items.

"Babe, it's your day off. Let me do this for you. Go back to bed." I told her as I leaned over the back of the couch.

"I'm fine." She waved me off.

"I wasn't asking you if I could. I was telling you that I am doing it. So go back to bed." I pointed to the bedroom. A wave of relief washed over me as she gave in. She pulled me down, hooking her hands around my neck. She whispered a thank you. I kissed her cheek and she let me go. I watched her as she left the room. I set up a few boxes, folded the clothing that was fixed and made, got everything ready to be shipped.

I was glad she went back to sleep. When she actually sleeps, she sleeps. She won't hear anything I do. I cleaned up the apartment and then began baking her a special. I wanted tonight to be better than earlier today. I slapped on the icing to the cake and wrote out a message. It wasn't the best but I knew she wouldn't care at how bad it looked. Uneven cake, sloppy icing, words different sizes, words are also smudged, and it's an overall disaster. It's the thought that counts, people. If they don't appreciate you trying then they don't deserve your kindness. Wise words from Oliver, you're welcome.

I folded the wrapping paper around the box. Five tries later I finally taped down the corners and placed a bow on top of the box. I was never good at gift wrapping, Danny knew that secondhand. She always wrapped presents for me for birthday parties we attended together. She sometimes had to wrap her own gifts from me. Wrapping paper just hates me.

I walked into the spare room, slowly opening the dresser drawer and placed the gifts in there. I had to hide them somewhere.

***

I placed my hand over her eyes.

"You know I hate surprises." She stated, clumsily tripping over her own feet.

"No you don't. Now walk correctly, or you'll have both of us on the floor." I chuckled. I could feel the heat on her face as I continued to hold my hand over her eyes. I did something simple. I unlocked our apartment door and had us walk in. Once in, I closed the door and put a finger up to my lips. I signaled for everyone to be still and quiet.

I removed my hand as everyone yelled 'surprise!'. Her mouth gaped open as everyone she loved was in one room. I knew she was missing her parents and Elliot. Many said 'Happy Birthday' as other waved and chatted. I stood with Elliot as she went around greeting everyone.

"You've done a good job. Think she'll say yes?" Elliot elbowed me.

"I'm pretty sure she won't. I'm glad that no one can steal her from me. I love her too much." I laughed.

"We all knew way before you two did. Just promise you won't do anything stupid to her. Remember what I told you I'd do." He warned me with a smirk.

"Yes of course. How could I forget, you had a knife pointing at me saying 'if you break that flower, I will cut your balls off with this knife.'" I quoted with chuckle.

"First of all, I wasn't in my right mind but I still did a good job threatening you." He pointed out as he took a sip out of the beer bottle.

I looked over at Danny, smiling as I knew she loved having everyone here. She's grown. Grown to love herself and I loved her the whole time while she was still learning. She looked over at me with rosey cheeks. I waved and blew her kiss. She giggled as she opened her hand to grab my kiss. She placed it on her lips and then did the same to me. I repeated the action she did and then my attention was turned back to her brother.

"Sappy, such a sappy couple." He muttered and shoved a beer in my hand and then patted my back. All I could do was laugh at his comment. So what if we are sappy, I love her. I'm in love with her.