Chapter- Thirty-nine

My fist pumped into the air, my voice rising as the soccer team was close to winning to their last game of the season. I was very into the game, as I was rooting for them wildly.

The crisp air touched my nose as it entangled into my hair. I shivered, I did not like cold weather that much. I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck and covered my mouth with it, only for it to fall again from me shouting. Soon enough the clock was ticking down to the last seconds of the game. The team was ahead by five points, so there was no doubt that they would win. The buzzer went off, alarming everyone that the game was now over. I made my way over to the team.

"Congrats, you guys." I said while clapping my hands, along with a huge smile on my face. Before I knew it, Gabe had picked me up and was swinging me around. Our laughs could be heard throughout the stadium most likely.

"Danny?" I heard someone ask. No one here calls me that and I knew right away it was Oliver. Gabe stopped spinning me, setting me down on my feet.

"Hi." I said unsure of what to say.

"Who's this?" Gabe asked. I could barely answer him, I was too busy staring at Oliver.

"My boyfriend." I said quietly. The whole team shut up and looked between Oliver and I.

"Thanks for keeping her company. I need to talk to her." Oliver said and started to walk away, thinking I was going to follow.

"Danny, come on." He said stopping in his tracks and looking at me. I looked to the ground and before I could realize what I was doing, my feet moved for me. Oliver walked until we were out of sight from the team. I stopped walking once he did.

"I came here to see you." He said while leaning against the brick wall.

"Okay." I awkwardly said.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" He asked, trying to find my happiness in my sad filled eyes.

"I am, it's just, why now? Out of nowhere? I've tried calling, texting, I even sent Elliot to check on you." I told him not wanting to start getting upset.

"I'm sorry. Football practice has been taking up a lot of time. I screwed up, okay." He told me as he took a step forward to put a hand on my shoulder, but I backed away.

"I put in so much effort, Oliver. In return I got nothing from you. Do you remember what we promised? Because I do. We said we would never drift apart and we both would stay in contact with each other. Here we are now, still slowly drifting far apart." I explained to him. You could say realization hit him in the face, but that wouldn't be enough.

"Danny, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He sobbed.

"I know you are, Oliver. But sorry isn't going to fix this. I think we-" He cut me off.

"Don't say it, please don't." He begged me.

"We need to take a break. Let's wait until college it over." I told him while holding back tears. Oliver's face sunk far to the ground.

"I, I guess we can try that? So what are the terms for this 'break'?" He asked.

"Well, we are technically still seeing each other but we aren't at the same time. So it's basically trying to see how we feel. We can explore our feelings, and if we have to we'll break up if it doesn't turn out right and you find someone new." I said not really wanting to follow those words.

"Oh." Is all he said. We stood awkwardly, not wanting to say anything else we both turned on our heels and left. As I turned the corner, the team was there.

"Were you all spying on me?" I asked. Their eyes widened and they scurried away except for Gabe.

"Sorry, we wanted to make sure a fist fight didn't break out." He said coming closer to me.

"Oh. I mean I'm not violent and neither is Oliver so I doubt that would happen but thanks, I guess." I said.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked me, holding onto me arm's length away.

"Yea, I will be." I told him, trying to believe myself.

"I'm here for you, and if you need me to stay with you I'm more than glad to." He told me.

"Thanks, Gabe. I think I will be fine for now." I told him and then he pulled me close and wrapped his arms around me. I did the same, taking the kind gesture to heart.

Soon days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months. I was waiting, waiting way too long for my own good. I deserved better than this. He didn't bother calling or checking on me. Although I can't say I called him because I didn't.

I traced the outline of my comforter as I listened to the radio.

"I knew I should've done something. She's miserable. I hate seeing her like this." I heard people outside my door talking. It was most obvious that they were talking about me. I am miserable, I felt like someone took a chunk of my heart and threw it down a garbage chute. I felt absolutely empty inside. It's been five months, making it April now, from the last time I talked to or saw Oliver. I give Gabe credit for trying to cheer me up. Sure I felt happy around him, but when I was alone, I felt like the darkness was taking over completely.

"Can I come in?" Someone asked, Someone must have told my brother about me.

"Whatever." I said loud enough for him to hear.

"Sis, look at you." He said as he sat down next to me.

"I know, I know." I said to him. I lost fifteen pounds, I barely fit in my clothes now, they were all way too big. I usually had to tie my yoga pants extra tight just to have them not fall down. MY shirts were baggy. I wonder how Oliver is with all this.

"Why are you doing this to yourself?" Elliot asked me.

"I feel nothing." I told him and curled up into my ball.

"You can't live like this. I'm surprised you're still going to classes and all." He said.

"Well I'm not wasting my money." I told him.

"How's Oliver?" I asked him curiously. He looked at me with a blank stare.

"You don't wanna know." He said to me, making me want to know even more.

"You can't just say that. Now tell me." I demanded him.

"He has new 'friend'. I would say girlfriend but you two are technically still together." He slowly told me, not wanting me to get upset.

I thought this was going to happen.