Chapter- Fifty-three

No, I was not being stood up by him. It's a funny story, really. In a way it's funny but it is sad at the same time. Let me take you back to that night.
Hearing a high pitched sound while sleeping is not fun. I groggily opened my eyes and reached for my phone. I looked at the contact, seeing that it was Elliot I pressed the answer button.

"Hello?" I grumbled from being so tired.

"I need you to get in your car, right now. Get to the hospital right away." He rushed out.

"What? Why? Is it Oliver?" I quickly asked as I slid on my sneakers. I held the phone between my shoulder and ear as I grabbed my purse and car keys.

"Yes, just get here." Then the line went dead. To say I was scared was the nice way to put it. I went full-blown cheetah. I ran to my car, drove fast to the hospital with the possibility of having a police car on my tail, I ran inside to find Elliot.

"Young lady!" I heard the officer shout.

"I'm sorry for speeding, It was an emergency!" I yelled back as I caught up to Elliot. Once I was caught up to Elliot, he turned to me.

"Way to go my young padawan." He chuckled as I rolled my eyes at his comment.

"Young lady, please stop." The demanding voice of the officer told me. I sighed and stopped, turning around to him.

"Just give me the fine. I'll pay it as soon as I can. I need to see my boyfriend." I stuttered.

"Give me your license." He said with his eye twitching. I dug around for my wallet and then slid the card out, handing it to him. I waited as he wrote things down, my foot tapping up and down rapidly. I ran a hand through my hair, and as he gave me my card back I took it quickly. He handed me a paper had 'Fine' written at the top. He scoffed at me and then left. I now had a five hundred dollar fine to pay off and a point against me for speeding.
It was worth it.

I trudged into the hospital room and stopped at the foot of his bed. His eyes purple and closed shut.

"They have him on that sleeping crap until tomorrow." Elliot commented.

"What happened?" I asked as I moved to kneel next to his bed. I took his scraped up hand in my and ran my thumb over the new wounds.

"I was with him when it happened. He couldn't help himself, Danny. We were at the flower shop together, getting you a nice bouquet. All his idea, I promise. I had gone to meet him I wanted him to be stable before you came." He blabbered.

"Get to it." I mumbled.

"There was a stray cat. It ran out into the street and the truck wasn't going to stop. So Oliver being the idiot he is would risk his life for that cat. I looked away to grab the cups of coffee we ordered. I walked out of the shop and I saw him in the middle of the street. I didn't think the truck would ram him. He just wanted to save the damn cat. And no we are here. He fractured his ribs, three on the left and two on the right, has a concussion, and a bunch of scrapes." Elliot explained in full detail.

"Damn." I muttered.

What am I going to do with you, Oliver?

We sat there in silence for awhile, until I heard Elliot open his mouth.

"The cat is alright by the way."

"That's good." I mumbled as I stroked Oliver's hand. I felt his fingers twitch multiple times. I put my forehead down against his hand and closed my tired eyes.

Back to reality now.

It's been a few days since he woke up. I know he feels like crap. His facial expression and the way he is eating says it all. His appetite is really low and it's scaring me. He always eats a lot but lately it has only been a few bites and that's it. It's affecting me, I'm starting to lose mine. I feel so bad, I want to be able to heal him but I can't.

"Lay with me." He took me out of my thoughts. I got up out of the chair and onto our bed. I wrapped my arms around him, as he leaned over to rest his head on my stomach. My hand instantly started to run through his hair, it made him relax. Except when we are making out of course, that just turns him on. I felt him take my free hand, interlacing our fingers. Before I knew it, he was snoring lightly. I leaned my head back, letting it lean against the broken headboard that we did not break during sex. We were chasing each other and stupid me had to try and run across to the other side of the room, I tripped on a random pencil, probably from my bag, and slammed into the headboard.

I took slow breaths and felt myself drifting to sleep.

I guess you are wondering what happened with the cat. After Oliver was released from the hospital, he made me bring him to the accident site. He to me he had to see the cat himself. After we found the cat in a nearby field, he made me go home and find a box and grab an old blanket. This cat now lives with us in our apart. Oliver insisted we give the cat a home so it doesn't keep roaming the streets where it could get hit by cars and all. He begged me like a little kid begging for ice cream or toy. He even started crying. I couldn't resist the tears because I hate when people cry, it makes me feel sad. I let Oliver decide on a name, that was a mistake! He named her Spartacus, Spar for short. For god's sake it's a female cat and he had to name her with a male name! Why? Why Spartacus, why not Fluffy, Princess, or something normal? It's ridiculous! It makes absolutely no sense to me and it never will.

I felt Spar curl up on my shoulder, across my chest just above Oliver's head, is she serious? I sighed and closed my eyes again.