Chapter 38a - With half an arrow in my chest

The doctors were starting to get concerned. There was a very slim chance of Stacy making a complete recovery, if she got up. The boys were getting really worried, too. They had to jet off in a few days. Their time off was coming to an end and the last thing they wanted was for Stacy to still be in this condition when that time came. A very emotional Hannah had just left the hospital when the doctor asked to see all the boys together. “You might want to contact any one who is closely related to Stacy, her family, other friends…”

“Why?” Louis snapped, not even trying to disguise how upset he was.

“Nothing is certain at the moment, but we just want to make sure that all her loved ones get to…” the nurse attempted to explain.

“Boht her vitals are fine. You said so yourself.” Zayn interjected. Liam gave him a reassuring look and he tried to calm down, even though the tears that were collecting in his eyes were clearly visible.

“We understand that this is a difficult time for you, but…”

“But nothing,” Louis said, obviously upset. “You are the medical staff. You can’t give up on her!”

Niall's P.O.V.

My endurance was wearing thin. I don't think I can do this much longer.

I turned on the telli to help keep myself sane. There was a movie on. It was something about time travel. If only there was such a thing. If only I had said and done all the things I wish I had. "...but it isn't too late," I heard the character in the movie say. The words caught me off guard. I looked at Stacy lying there on the hospital bed. I had never had the courage to do it before, but now - hoping that it wasn't my last chance and yet knowing that it could be - I leaned in and kissed her lips tenderly. They were soft against mine. And though I had expected the kiss to feel weird, it hadn't. Instead it felt...right somehow. Warm and familiar. Like home.