Chapter 25 - I hold on it's getting harder to breathe

Louis’ P.O.V.

We were all in a bad shape waiting to hear any news about Stacy. We were relieved when the doctor finally approached us, Liam behind him. The doctor said that they had managed to stabilize Stacy’s heart rate, but just as we breathed a sigh of relief, he said that she was still unconscious. He said that he would allow us to see her, but not all at once. She needed her rest, but we were allowed to touch her and speak to her. Maybe hold her hand – things like that. “Maybe she can hear you,” he said. “But even if she doesn’t, at least it will help you feel better.” Liam decided that he and Harry would go in first. Then he would take Harry back to the house so that he could get cleaned up. I looked over at Harry, who was already standing up to go, and saw him red-eyed. He was wiping at his face which was covered in tears.

***

Seeing Stacy like that scared the boys. She was still and unresponsive. After Liam and Harry left her hospital room, the doctor came looking for Liam again. Harry had managed to compose himself and he stayed with the other boys while the doctor took Liam aside and explained Stacy’s condition. While she was lucky enough not to have acquired external injuries beyond a few cuts and bruises, she seemed to have taken a severe blow to her head. “It isn’t possible to determine the full extent of the damage that has been incurred at this stage,”

the doctor explained, “but we’re hoping for the best.  She might wake up in a couple of hours, or she might not.” “What if she doesn’t?” Liam asked, trying to be sober-minded, but feeling the inclination to panic. “There could be a possibility of cerebral damage could result in memory loss or the use of particular subsections of her brain, affecting speech perception…” The doctor continued, but Liam had heard enough – too much in fact. All he understood from what the doctor had said was that they needed a miracle. “We will conduct a few more tests and scans and continue to monitor her, but for now I suggest that you boys hang tight. There is a good chance of her pulling through.” “Thank you,” was the only response Liam could manage. He shook the doctor’s hand and nodded. “If you want my personal advice, speak to her. Hold her hand. Get her a set of headphones and play music to her – calm music of course. It could help her brain to recover. Liam nodded once more and turned away, deciding on what he was going to say to the lads. He walked passed her room on his way to fetch Harry and saw Niall at her bedside.