Chapter 11 - I'm so sorry, I'm so confused

Stacy’s P.O.V.

"Stace," Niall placed his hand on mine as he began to speak, immediately altering my heart-rate. "I called you here 'cause I wanted to ask you something."

I looked up into his eyes - my first mistake. He kept going.

"You're a very special person and our friendship means a lot to me. But I don't want it to stay this way." he paused and so did my heart beat. "I want us to be more than that. I really like you...and I want you to be my girlfriend.”

I felt all kinds of things in that moment. My tummy was in knots. I felt nervous, and flattered, and shy, and overwhelmed. Was this actually happening? ...but then I started to feel guilty. 'Harry' I thought. First Harry kisses me, now Niall asks me out. Was this some kind of joke, 'cause if it was then there was nothing funny about it. But as I looked into Niall's eyes that peered expectantly into mine I was looking at the most sincerity you could ever ask for.

This was the craziest couple of days in my life. So much of the unexpected had happened, and the day wasn't even over yet.

"Niall...Wow..." I looked down at our hands and realized that four of my fingers had found their place between his thumb and pointing finger. This whole thing was both awkward and yet oddly comfortable at the same time.

"I was not expecting this," I continued. "I am so flattered, and just...blown away to tell you the truth." He laughed a little at that. I tried to smile too, but I felt a tight knot rapidly forming in the pit of my stomach.

Harry’s P.O.V.

It sounds foolish, but I didn't regret snogging her. I didn't regret going in for a second kiss. I just hated the circumstances under which it had occurred. The memory was so bitter-sweet. I felt like shit sitting there in the living room. I was glaring at the spot where Stacy and I had kissed. Yup, I could see it all in my mind's eye. It was like the past 24 hours of my life had revolved around that one moment. Why was I feeling like this? It was just a kiss - not like we'd been engaged to each other. But no matter how rational I tried to be, every part of me wanted to get up and drive over to Stacy's place so I could be with her.

Every time I felt that way, I willed myself to think about Niall. How he was planning the details of asking Stacy out, as if he had all this pent-up energy that had built up since he'd first had feelings about her. That look on his face when he spoke about her was undeniable. I knew that his mind's eye saw him with her, and she made him really happy. And though a part of me wanted to forget that and just act on my feelings, I knew there was no part of me that could ever want to take that away from him. Niall deserved to be happy with someone who was worth it. Stacy deserved the same. They would be perfect together. I wasn't going to let one spur-of-the-moment, random action ruin that. The kiss was what it was - the past. And that's where it should stay.