Chapter 29a - I'll keep my eyes wide open

Louis’ P.O.V

When I walked into the room Niall was sound asleep on the chair in the corner and Stacy was lying on the bed, just the way she had been when I saw her last night. I went to her bedside and spoke to her as gentle as I could. “Hey Sleeping Beauty...” I leaned in closer to her ear. “You can get up now.” I actually looked at her face for some movement or expression. I felt like an idiot. And then I heard a sound. I looked at Stacy, but it wasn’t coming from her. It was Niall, over in the corner. He was mumbling something in his sleep. I felt really sorry for the guy. I couldn’t understand what he was saying, so I walked up to him and woke him up. He was startled, but he quickly got his bearings right and turned to face Stacy’s bed.

“Is she awake yet?”

“No mate. She isn’t. But you should probably go stretch your legs. Take a wee, get something to eat.”

He looked over at her again, and I knew what he was thinking. “It’s okay, I’ll wait here with her,” I assured him.

But just then, the nurse came in and asked us to leave. They had a job to do and didn’t want people getting in the way. I smiled politely, as two more nurses joined her, and turned to leave. “C’mon Niall.”

Liam’s P.O.V.

I saw Lou walkin out of Stacy's room with Niall next to him. 'Oh good. At least he'd got him to leave her bedside,' I thought.

"Hey there Niall," I said, patting his back. I didn't get much of a response out of him. "I got you guys something to eat," I held up the bag of chicken sandwiches.

"Nahh, I'm not really hungry."

I looked at the guy and couldn't believe what I was hearing. He was in a really bad shape. He slumped down next to Zayn, who I could see was feeling really sorry for him. I was about to say something about how he needed to eat and rest when the phone in my back pocket rang. Oh, that's right. I had Stacy's phone with me. I walked out of the hallway to take the call. When I got back, Zayn must have convinced Niall that he needed to eat 'cause he was having the last few bites of his sandwich. I had never seen Niall like this. Eating out of necessity. Stacy'd better wake up soon.

"Who was that?" Zayn asked after swallowing his last bite.

"Oh, uhm. It was Hannah.

The boys all looked at me and I knew what they were thinkin. We had all heard about Stacy's friend, Hannah. But none of us had even thought about notifying her about the accident until now. Now that she knew, she was probably going to show up here and I could see that the boys weren't ready for that. Unlike Stacy, Hannah had the tendency to over-react. I looked towards the door to Stacy's room.

"The nurses are busy with her," Louis said. That explained why Harry was pacing the floor when I had walked in.