Chapter 27 - Won't go...

After escorting Niall out of Stacy’s hospital room, Liam took Harry back to the house and Louis called Eleanor. Even though it was his daily routine, it felt strange this time. Eleanor got on quite well with Stacy the few times that they had met and he knew that she would be concerned. Zayn looked over at Lou and realised that it was his turn to go in and see Stacy, and he would have to do it alone. He rose and walked slowly towards the door, trying to muster all the strength and bravery he could.

When he entered, he just stood by her bedside and stared at her for a while, unable to produce any sound. He had been speaking to her just a few hours ago. Everything was perfect. How had this happened? Why was she lying here motionless like this? He slowly wiped her hair away from her face. “Hey, Stace,” he said in a near whisper. “So what, you’re just gonna ignore me now?” He felt stupid for asking questions to someone who couldn’t respond to him. “You should probably get up now, babes. You’ve got everyone worried sick about you.”

***

          After Harry had gotten himself cleaned up, he and Liam returned to the hospital. They had gotten a call from the police station for them to claim Stacy’s belongings. It was getting late, so they decided that they would go and get some rest – even though they all knew that was highly unlikely – and Louis and Liam would visit the police station in the morning. But Niall refused to leave the hospital. “You guys go on. I’ll stay here with Stacy.” The boys looked at each other, silently trying to figure out what they should do. Zayn decided that since they couldn’t get Niall to leave, he would stay with him while the rest of the boys went back to the house. Harry went back in to see her one more time before they left. “I’ll see you guys in a few hours,” Liam said as Paul escorted them out of the foyer and out of the hospital.

Liam’s P.O.V.

We rose early the next morning. It wasn’t hard to do since we hadn’t really slept much in the first place. I think Harry eventually fell off to sleep, though it wasn’t a peaceful one. I could hear him moaning and wrestling. We had forgotten how hard it must have been for him to have found Stacy in that state. He wanted to sleep in the lounge last night, so I brought my duvet and took the couch opposite him. Lou decided to join us a little later. Since we were all up now, we got dressed and made our way to the police station to claim up Stacy’s stuff. Fortunately, it didn’t take long. The man who had found her, and had apparently called Harry from Stacy’s cell by pressing ‘redial’, had been kind enough to gather all her stuff before it got stolen, and had turned it in to the police to be claimed. Lou filled out the forms that the police gave to him. “Standard procedure,” he explained and we nodded. “Can we have the details of the guy who handed all this stuff in?” I asked, receiving a questioning look from Harry.

“Yeah, sure. Just give me a minute.”

“Here you go,” he said, handing me a paper with some info. scribbled on it.

“Thank you.”

I dialled the digits and waited for the guy to pick up.

“Hi, this is Billy.”

“Hi Bill, it’s Liam… I just wanted to say thank you for helping Stacy out yesterday.”

“Oh yeah, no problem. Is she okay?”

Harry stared at me.

“Uhm, yeah. She’s still unconscious, but she’s gonna be fine,” I swallowed hard.

“Well, I hope she gets well soon. She’s a lucky girl. You take care.”

“Yeah, thanks man. You too.”

I hung up as Harry signed the form as a witness.

“Is that all” Louis asked.

“Yeah’ that’s it.”

We put Stacy’s stuff into the car and rushed over to the hospital, stopping briefly to get Zayn and Niall something to eat and drink.

When we got there I saw the chairs in the hallway that we had used yesterday, and Zayn asleep on them. He was obviously knackered.

I got him up.

“Where’s Niall?”

He’s still in there,” he pointed to Stacy’s room. Of course.

Louis went to the room and found Niall sitting on the seat against the wall, fast asleep.