Gallery

"Hey, do you want to explore the house?"
Nyx's eyes lit up. "Do I ever! I bet you have, like, a thousand bedrooms and dinning rooms and... other rooms!"
Lady Mater chuckled at her overexcited little friend. "I also have a library and an art gallery. Come on, I'll show you!"

"Wow! It's massive!"
They were in the gallery, admiring the art work's.
Every few minutes, Nyx would ask a curious "What's that?" To which Lady Mater would reply cheerfully.
Nyx had never really been interested in art before, but now she was having fun, secretly pretending to be the gorgeous princesses and elegant goddesses featured in all the paintings.
Then she saw it.
It was incredible.
A huge framed painting of two women, each as beautiful and as terrifying as the other, locked in combat. Behind them, shadowy armies clashed as thunder and lightning rained from the sky. The sounds of the storm outside added to the feel of the picture, making it seem just that little bit more realistic.
Nyx shuddered, but not from the cold. Not quite fear, either. More like adrenaline, pounding through her veins, boiling in her blood. It wasn't dissimilar to the feeling she got before she used her powers, except this time, she couldn't feel them straining at her control. They didn't struggle to be released. They just sat there, bubbling under the surface.
She gazed into the painting. Suddenly, she thought she could see it moving. Yes, the armies in the background did seem to be ever so slightly moving.
Tentatively, she reached forwards to touch the canvas...
And fell, through the paint, onto the battlefield.
The armies clashed all around her, soldier against soldier.
On one side, a mix of downworlder's fought together to fend off their foe. Working in unison to fight...
The creatures.
The enemy, a deadly, twisted parody of the first, was them, the zombie-like creatures that had began to appear recently. Except thousands upon thousands, swarming the place.
Overheard, the thunder boomed, lightning illuminating the surroundings.