Dominance

The werewolf righted itself, eyes snapping to Nyx, obvious hatred burning in their depths. Nyx swallowed nervously and gripped her plates tighter, wishing for a better weapon. If only she could reach the carving knives, but there was a small problem of the wolf being between her and the knife block. Actually trying reaching them would defy the point of having them. And likely result in death.

The wolf pounced again and this time Nyx threw the plate in a frisbee motion. It sailed through the air and smacked the wolf in the throat, cutting it deep. Blood oozed from the wound, strangely thick and dark in colour. Almost black.
A pungent odour of decay and burning rubber permeated the air.
Nyx retched, bile filling her mouth.

Over in the corner, she heard spluttering. Nick had recovered from his dazed state only to have his enhanced vampire senses assaulted by the stench. His hand was clasped over his nose and mouth, and if possible he looked even more pale.
The wolf snarled, stalking towards Nyx. Nyx could feel the burn of power begin in her gut. No, no, no! She couldn't use them, not now, not ever again! She couldn't risk it, even in this case.
"But who is this... this animal, to attack our family and destroy our home? Show him who holds the power here, show him who the dominant one really is!"

Nyx closed her eyes, struggling to control herself. No, not her powers, she couldn't use those...
But maybe something else might work.
Carefully, Nyx forced herself to calm herself, her breath, her heartbeat. Then she opened her eyes, her grey irises spiked through with glowing yellow and midnight black.
She stared the wolf in the eyes, unblinking, showing no signs of submission. She remembered reading somewhere that alpha wolves stared down the lower wolves, forcing them to look away in submission.
She prayed this applied to werewolves.
And she prayed this thing had enough wolf in it left to respond.
And she prayed she appeared more dominant, and not a snack.