Lady Mater's mansion

After a brief conversation with Rachel, Nyx was sitting shotgun in Lady Mater's car, trying to unpick her wet hair from it's various knots and tangles.
"Don't do that, you'll tear your hair and end up with split ends." Lady Mater chided, as she navigated the wet road.
Nyx pouted jokingly. "You're not my mum."
Lady Mater chuckled at her childish tone, but said nothing.

Lady Mater's home was huge. Of course it was, she owned a mansion. Nyx hadn't realized until just then how big mansions were.
She counted twenty windows before she got bored and gave up.

The inside was just as grand. Everything was so... fancy. Fancy and big, it made Nyx feel like a little mouse, small, insignificant and completely out of place.
Lady Mater laughed Nyx's expression of awe, smiling widely. Nyx couldn't remember her smiling so... openly. As if she was really enjoying having Nyx with her.
"Come on, Nyx, let's find you something dry to wear!" She said, a light in her eyes Nyx had never seen before.

Ten minutes later, Nyx and Lady Mater were playing dress up, rummaging through Lady Mater's old clothes. The lady had some wonderful outfits, each more expensive and beautiful than the last.
Currently, Nyx was parading around in a too long ball gown with a feather bower wrapped around her neck and elbow length gloves, posing, pulling faces and pretending to be posh, whilst Lady Mater rolled up with laughter. "Oh, your a real ham, aren't you? Seriously, have you ever considered being on the stage?"
Nyx feigned indignance. "Don't you know anything? The world is my stage, and you all are my captive audience. Unfortunately, no one gave me a scrip, so it's all improvised and some idiot gave away the tickets for free, so I'm broke. Still, the show must go on!"
They both burst into fits of laughter. Nyx was amazed. She'd never seen Lady Mater look so... human.