Blood sugar

Hotels, even cheap ones, are fun when your five. Or five at heart.

Nyx had only been there three days and she had ridden the clunky elevator multiple times just cause she could, not had to make her bed, held a one woman dance party in her room and freaked out various hotel staff with an army of invading plastic trolls.
After that, Rachel had snapped and lifted her house arrest, as long as one of the others went with her, at which promptly the boys had made themselves scarce.
Currently, a sugar hyped Nyx was skipping down the sidewalk, grinning wildly, with a sulky Selene following on behind her muttering darkly about never going to another sweet shop again.
Life was swell.
What could possibly go wrong on this fine, fine day?

Suddenly Nyx sensed something in the shadows. The same sixth sense that had told her about the shadowhunters the first time was  twinging again, though this time it was different.
Nyx turned and peered down the dark nook between the nearby buildings. Something moved in the shade.
Nyx started towards it but Selene grabbed her arm. "Oh no, no more dark alleys for you!"
"But there's something down there." Whined Nyx.
"All the more reason not to go down there." Replied Selene, as if she was speaking to a small child.
"But I think it's hurt!" Nyx broke free of Selene's grip and dodged down the alley.
It was a girl. A small girl, around ten, with green hair framing her sweet, round face.  A young warlock.
And she was obviously sick.
Black blood poured out of her mouth, nose, eyes and ears in rivers. She coughed weekly, spraying the black viscous substance up the wall next to her. She crouched, curled into herself, wracked with sobs.
She was dying.