04

Davina arrived at her old apartment building early the next morning

She had told Connor and Jo beforehand so they were expecting her but still, you could never be too sure with the couple.

So, she brought her key in case she needed it.

Until that time came though, she knocked on the door, waiting for it to open when she heard the elevator doors opening instead.

Turning around, there was Peter who just gotten out of the elevator, freezing when he saw Davina.

'Of course, she'd be here.' He thought as he began the short walk to his Aunt May's apartment after promising her nights before to visit her.

"Hey... Davina."

She smiled softly, nodding, "Hey Peter."

"You here alone?" Peter slowly asked now standing in front of his own door as he looked at the brunette.

"Yeah. Matt had to work so... and MJ?"

"Oh, she had a class to get to..."

Davina slowly nodded, going to say something when instead her door opened and there stood a beaming Jo.

"Vina! You're here! Come on in!"

Davina brightly at her sister in law as she went to step in when Jo saw Peter too.

"Oh hey, Pete. You and your aunt May should join us for dinner!"

The two looked at her wide-eyed, neither of them really liking the idea but it wasn't like either of them could say that out loud.

Instead, Peter's door opened to reveal a smiling May, "We'd love to Joanna! See you three soon!"

Jo nodded, telling her, "Just knock on the door and we'll get to it." before closing the door behind her and turning to Davina who was looking at her suspiciously.

"Okay. You're way too happy. What's going on?"

She knew Jo for a long time, ever since she was a little and her brother first brought her over to meet the family.

She had been happy before, yes, but this was like a new level of happy, one that creeped Davina out.

"I'm just happy to finally be seeing my sister in law after months!" Jo said with a giggle as she brought her into a tight hug.

"That and the hormones are crazy." Davina heard, making her get out of the hug and turn around with a bright smile, seeing her brother there.

"Connor!"

The two laughed as they hugged, Davina clinging onto her big brother as he held her close, him hugging her back just as tight.

Once he did set her down, he smiled at her, "I've missed you, little sis."

"I've missed you too big bro. And wait- what is this about hormones?"

Jo sighed now as she crossed her arms, "I was hoping you'd miss that. Thanks a lot, Connor."

Connor pouted as he walked over to Jo, wrapping his arm around her shoulder, "Aw babe. I'm sorry."

"Wait. You two-"

Connor was quick to stop her though, "Let Jo do it her own way."

Davina nodded, hiding a smirk as she looked at Jo who stared at the siblings before rolling her eyes, "I hate you both."

Laughing now Connor went after Jo who was making her way into the kitchen, "Aw baby I'm sorry but look at her she's clueless. She's not that smart you know."

Normally Davina would protest but being this was about something big, she only nodded at Jo looking at her with those doe eyes of hers.

Jo was not amused, instead looking at Connor with a different look that he had become accustomed to, "She's about to graduate at the top of her class in Harvard."

"Wait yeah. Why aren't back at school?"

"I'm taking online classes for now. I wanted to be there for my best friends and also..."

She held her left hand out, Jo gasping and immediately by her side while Connor stood frozen looking at the ring wide-eyed.

"Oh my god since when?!"

"For a couple of weeks." Davina said sheepishly as Jo inspected the ring, "We had an announcement but I wanted to tell you two alone without other people ruining our moment you know?"

Davina looked up at Connor, hoping to see a smile on his face which slowly grew as he came up to her, "I'm proud of you sis. You've come a long way since... yeah."

She nodded, smiling proudly up at her big brother, "Matt wishes he could've been here but he has work so..."

"Aw Matt! I miss him. He was such a cutie last time I saw him."

"Last time I saw him he was sneaking out of your room," Connor said more sternly now, making Davina frown.

"Connor we're in our 20s."

But Connor shook his head, "You'll always be my kid sister to me."

Sighing, Davina went over to him, holding his hands, "I was actually hoping to ask you something."

Connor slowly nodded, now confused a bit but was ready to listen nonetheless.

"I um... can you walk me down the aisle?"

Jo gasped, Connor's eyes growing wide, actually surprised by the question.

"What?"

She nodded with a small smile, "I really want you to give me away Connor."

He now struggled to fight back his tears as cleared his throat, "But what about your other- what about your dad?"

Davina was quick to shake her head, "I've gotten close to him sure and have accepted him as a father but I already spoke to him about this."

Connor watched her, waiting for her to continue which she did, struggling herself not to burst out crying.

"Growing up I only imagined one man to walk me down the aisle and that was Jacob Anderson. Since he's not- Connor you're the closest thing I have to him and- and you're my big brother. I need you there, by my side."

Connor couldn't help the tears that fell now, pulling Davina into a hug as he cried, "Of course I'll walk you!"

And so the Anderson siblings sobbed in each other's arms, both happy about what was just discussed.

His sister was growing up too fast. The last living reminder he had of his parents was about to start a life of her own and he didn't know where that'd take her.

But the two were starting families of their own and they knew their parents would've been proud of them.

And they were.

posted: May 07, 2017

edited: April 29, 2018