12

The entire week consisted of Davina avoiding Peter at all costs

Usually after school, if they had bumped into each other when they reached their homes, the two would share a conversation and even spend time together but now Davina just walked past him, opening the door to her apartment quickly and stepping in before anything could be said.

Even in history class when Peter usually spent his time looking at Davina and her daydreaming, the two had been complete opposites.

Instead, Davina actually paid attention in class while Peter doodled away discretely in the back, no one paying much attention to him.

It was like any other day in class when suddenly Mr. Ahearn announced, "It's time for your first projects of the year!"

Groans were emitted throughout the classroom, Davina not really worrying since she knew all she needed to know plus she could work with anyone in that classroom... not including Peter of course.

But she didn't worry about that anyways. What were the odds that she'd get paired with Peter Parker rather than literally anyone else in the classroom?

So she waited, just like everyone else anxiously did as he read the names before finally getting to hers.

"Davina Anderson and... Peter Parker."

'Of course' she thought, her gaze dropping to her hands which were playing with her pen.

Meanwhile, Peter looked at her for the first time, thinking of Ned's words of advice.

"Don't let her go just because you feel a little bad. She deserves better. You deserve better."

Davina didn't think he wanted to be paired with her though and instead was preparing herself to sweet talk the teacher into switching partners when he made another announcement.

"There will be no switch-ups. Either you start working with your partner on a computer right now or you come up and accept your F for the project."

Students groaned as he motioned them all to go to work, everyone getting up and heading to a computer, Davina doing the same.

Peter slowly joined her, nervously on a spare chair. He was grateful though that they were in a corner rather than in the middle of the students.

"Okay, so he gave us the Civil War," Davina spoke now wiggling the paper in the air before setting it down, her eyes on the screen of the computer.

"It should be an easy thing to do. I'll get all the info needed and you can do the presentation. It won't be hard at all so we can be finished by-"

"I'm sorry." Peter interrupted mid-sentence, Davina looking away from the computer screen to look at the nervous boy she had missed for some time now.

As much as she wanted to throw a fit right then and there, Davina shook her head, her gaze returning to the screen, "You have nothing to be sorry for."

Peter sighed though, setting his book down, "I have everything to be sorry for. I used my own guilt and tried to pile it on you and that wasn't fair at all. Not to you, not to uncle Ben..."

He trailed off, making Davina look at him, noticing he was holding back on something, "What is it Peter?"

He sighed, "Nothing. I just- I mean if anything it's my fault."

Rolling her eyes now, Davina shook her head, "It's not your fault Peter. It's that thief's fault."

"Still my fault more." Peter said dully, looking up at her as he mumbled, "I was the one who let him go- I didn't stop him."

Narrowing her eyes at him, she was surprised at the new information she got about that night's events.

Nonetheless, she wasn't going to make him feel as horrible as he made her feel.

"Still not your fault. There was nothing you could've done to stop him."

Peter knew her better but decided not to say anything about that though, instead sighing as he nodded, "There was nothing you could do to stop me either."

Dropping her pencil, Davina just stared at him, wondering what exactly to say to that.

I mean what was she supposed to say?

'I didn't think there was until you told me so.'

She couldn't do that. She didn't have it in her.

Instead, she thanked the heavens when she heard her name being called, her turning to see her classmate Jessie motioning her to look at her screen.

"Look! It's that new superhero going around the city."

This being the first she's heard of the masked superhero, Davina was intrigued but scoffed once a close up was given of him.

"Nice suit." Jessie's partner Jordan snorted, earning a giggle from Jessie while Davina smiled, shaking her head.

"Hey, he's new to the whole thing. Cut him some slack." Peter defended, the others looking at him confused but Davina scoffed.

"Either way. Disguises are old school."

"Says who?" Peter asked, obviously offended but Davina didn't back down.

"Says Tony Stark. I mean there he is given the opportunity to deny being Iron Man yet he accepts full responsibility. That's a real man."

Jessie nodded, now smirking herself, "I wouldn't mind working for Mr. Stark."

Laughing at that, Davina shook her head when the bell rang, all the students quick to get up from their seats, gathering their belongings and piling out.

With her bag now in hand, Davina turned to face Peter, "I'll email you my part of the assignment by tonight, no later than that."

Peter nodded, going to speak to her when she left the room, Peter sighing as he followed behind, watching her as she went to join her friends, including Harry who had gotten undeniably close to her.

He had his arm around her as they walked down the hallway, Flash and Liz close behind with Peter watching from far, MJ and Ned soon joining him.

"I told you, man. You shouldn't have let her go." Ned mumbled, hating to see his friend go through this while MJ stood there, angered if anything.

"If she can forget about you that easily Pete then maybe she's just not worth it."

And as much as Peter wanted to believe her, that wasn't the case.

Instead, he thought of the many times his uncle Ben caught him staring at her, him smiling down at Peter with a hand on his shoulder.

"A girl like that son, you don't let her go. Ever."

He even went as far as comparing her to his aunt May, claiming when he first saw her he knew she was the one and there was no denying it, no matter how much life got between it all.

That was what Peter felt, knowing since he was a kid that she was the one, now wondering how exactly he'd get her back after what he's done.

"She's worth it MJ. She is definitely worth it."

*** TWD got me all sorts of emotional so naturally, I am proofreading and posting this through tears. Bare with me :(

^^^ Naturally, my proofreading of this chapter sucked being I did it through tears. (then again what were my excuses for the other chapters???)

posted: October 23, 2016

edited: February 12, 2018