25

Returning to school, Davina received the same treatment Harry and Peter did when they lost someone in the middle of the school year

But, unlike Harry, she couldn't take the time off.

She needed to be somewhere other than in the house where her parents raised her.

Where their things still took over the place, pictures of them littering the house.

That and all the food they got.

Even Connor went straight back to work, not being able to handle another sad-faced neighbor with a plate of food in their hands.

So she went back to school, ignoring everyone's sorry looks as she made her way to her locker.

She always hated being the center of attention which was ironic considering she was one of the most popular girls in school.

But now with all eyes on her, she loathed it.

She just wanted to focus on class. Not on everything that's happened to her.

But that was also hard considering even the teachers were looking at her with that sad expression of theirs.

Each told her not to worry about the homework even if she knew that wouldn't be the case.

There was no way her parents would forgive her if she stopped doing homework and started failing over this.

They always wanted her to do her best in school so she especially couldn't let them down now that they were gone.

So she ignored it each time the teachers tried to give her an easy way out.

She only nodded and agreed but was never going to actually go along with it.

She didn't need all that time off from work like Harry did. If anything she needed all that work to get her life back on track, to get her to stop thinking about her parents.

She was slowly doing that as she listened to her friends speak amongst themselves until she noticed Harry get to the table, arriving at school during their lunch period.

That had become like a new normal to Harry, arriving late. Most of the time he wouldn't come at all but he knew he had to be there for Davina during this time.

Harry tried to console her but he was being weird himself. And she knew that. But she didn't care let alone mention it like she would have before.

She just wanted to mourn in peace, not having to worry about anything or anyone else, even Harry.

She thought she had managed to put her parents in the back of her mind... until Peter came up to their table.

Harry visibly stiffened up but Peter just ignored him as he looked down at Davina, "Mr. Stark is here to see you."

"Okay secretary." Flash joked making the others laugh but Davina didn't crack a smile.

She knew that Tony's being here meant one thing: he knew.

"You told him?" Davina asked as the two walked the hallways together.

"Well, no. I didn't need to. It was all over the news Vina."

She sighed now, nodding when they stepped out and there stood Tony by his car looking at the school.

Davina nodded at Peter, Peter walking back inside to leave the two alone as Davina made her way to Tony who waited for her to reach him.

"Please don't say you're sorry. I can't take another person saying they're sorry for my loss."

"Yeah. I get that. I wanted to rip the heads off of everyone who told me that when my parents passed."

Davina nodded now, almost forgetting that Tony too lost his parents.

Maybe he wouldn't be as hard to talk to as she had initially imagined.

"I know how you feel. I lost my folks when I was young too... well maybe not young but definitely younger than I am now."

"Weren't you in college?" Davina asked now, remembering reading about Howard and Maria Stark's death a while ago when researching him.

"Your point? So are you in just a few months."  Tony spoke, not realizing what he said only made Davina sadder.

Sighing now, Davina nodded, "Yet another thing my parents will miss."

Mentally slapping himself, Tony instead put a hand on Davina's shoulder, "Listen, kid. You can't let this beat you up. I know it hurts now but you'll get through it."

"I know I'll get through it." Davina now spoke sadly, brushing her hair back as she looked up at the billionaire, "But they won't."

Tony slowly nodded, looking around before motioning over to where they both could sit, silence hitting them as they looked forward.

"I recently came face to face with the guy who killed my parents."

Davina looked over at Tony who now looked up from his expensive shoes to look at the young girl, "I could've killed him and I almost did, had it not been for the Cap."

"Why would he stop you? You deserve to kill that man. You should have."

"Yeah. I thought so too but he didn't. I mean he was his best friend so that played a major key but also I realized in the end, what would that do for me besides get blood on my hands?... more blood at least."

Sighing, Davina looked down, "Is this the part where you tell me revenge won't get me anywhere?"

"Oh hell no." Davina looked up surprised as Tony pointed a finger at her, "If you find their killer you do whatever it is to your little heart's content. I'll get the best lawyers at hand."

"Ah. There it is." Davina said with a chuckle, Tony smiling as he shook his head.

"Whatever do you mean little one?"

Rolling her eyes playfully, Davina nudged Tony, "The whole lawyer bit. If I do anything to their killer I'm just securing my seat in jail which means I shouldn't do anything."

"Isn't the FBI investigating it?"

"S'not like they're getting far. The security footage has been tampered with."

"Well then consider it my pleasure to work the case. I won't let you down."

Sighing happily, Davina stood up to hug him, "Thank you, Tony."

"For what?" Tony now asked with a small smile as he continued to hug her back before she pulled away to look at him again.

"For everything, for this little talk too."

"Of course. Just promise me one thing though. Please don't let this ruin you. You're a great kid Davina. I'd hate to see you ruin your future."

Davina slowly nodded, not knowing whether she could keep her word on that but she knew she had to agree either way.

Tony deserved that and Davina had to at least try.

So she walked back into the school building with a new perspective in mind.

To stop crying and instead try to get her life back on track to how it was before like her parents would've wanted.

*** I have like 10 more drafts on this account and it's stressing me outttt 😩

posted: March 12, 2017

edited: April 12, 2018