"What else is gonna help?" he asks.

"I think you should save your energy," I say.

"She's right," Derek says. "This is useless now. Just know what you should expect."

And with that, he leaves, casually walking away.

***

By some crazy miracle, we managed to get Lydia to come with us to Scott's house after school, because we decided it was the best way to keep her safe. Unfortunately, Scott himself hasn't even showed up yet.

"If we're doing a study group, why didn't we just stay in the library?" Lydia asks us, pulling a strand of curled hair back behind her ear.

"Because... it's more fun? It's like hanging out together, like the time we went bowling, only... less bowling and more studying," I say.

"And less toe injuries," Stiles adds, making me meet his eyes and laugh.

"I do hope so," I reply.

"But where's Scott?" Lydia asks.

"Meeting us here, I think. I hope," Stiles says.

"But-"

"Lydia," Jackson snaps, stepping up to grab her arm and lightly force her to move forward, towards the living room.

"Thanks for doing this," Allison says to Jackson once Stiles has taken over, him and Lydia a few steps in front of us.

"I needed to talk to her anyway," Jackson replies.

"Oh?" I ask, amused. Perhaps they're getting back together?

"It's nothing," Jackson sneers.

"Uh, there's been a few break ins around the neighborhood," Stiles says loudly after Lydia asked him why we were acting so strange, locking the front door and pushing a chair underneath the doorknob, looking out the window expecting some kind of danger or something. "And a murder. It was bad, right, Grace?"

"Wha-" I turn around, caught off guard. "Yeah, very bad. This is a very dangerous area."

Lydia just looks out the window, watching the fancy houses, the toddler cycling past with a laugh, and everything else outside that implies it's a safe neighbourhood.

"Lydia, follow me," Jackson sighs, wanting to distract her. "I need to talk to you for a minute."

"Seriously? What is going on with everyone?" Lydia exclaims, following anyway as he leads her upstairs.

***

"Have you seen anything?" Allison asks, looking over at me, both of us staring out of different windows.

"No," I say. "But they'll get here soon enough."

"I hope not," Stiles says, stepping closer right when I take a step back from the window, making his body accidentally brush against my back, and uh, mostly my ass.

I gasp a little and turn around, meeting Stiles' wide eyes.

"I didn't- oh my god, I'm sorry," he blurts out, Allison immediately bursting out into giggles as she watches us. 

"It's... fine," I say, a bit dazed.

"No, I swear it was an accident," Stiles continues, still looking scared.

"Guys," Allison says.

Oh god. I don't want her to make a stupid comment about Stiles and I.

"Allison, don't you dare-"