Saving Jackie

Comment and vote for the next chapter :) <3 

 Brian's POV

There's nothing more heart warming that being up at two-thirty in the morning, while you read a book to your one year old daughter. No one will ever understand how much it means to a man, until they've experienced it themselves. 

There she sat on my lap, reclining against my chest as we flipped through a book about farm animals that my dad bought her. It was our eighth time reading it in a month and she still wasn't tired of it. Nor was I, to be honest. It would help her communication skills because there were words that she could learn to say like the sound a horse makes, neigh or the sound a pig makes, oink. 

"This is a cow that goes moo... and makes the milk for children to drink... Can you say moo? Go moo, baby." 

"Ooo." She cooed, pointing to the picture of the cow. 

I chuckled. "Good job, baby. Moo... Okay. Turn the page for me." Sophia picked at the bottom of the book and pushed the page over.  "This is the sheep. It has a woolly coat and goes baa. Sheep give us the wool we need... Can you say baa? Say baa." 

"Baa!" She squealed excitedly. 

"Very good! The sheep goes baa. Okay..." I turned the page, "Here is the duck that goes quack. Ducks waddle and swim in ponds." I let out a loud chuckle as I thought of Jimmy and the fans that carry on the Stallion Duck joke. "Uncle Jimmy liked chasing ducks, you know. But you'll see that video later on... Can you say quack?" 

She pointed to the duck, "Ca! Ca!

"Close. Don't worry, you'll get it some day." Again, I turned the page, "This is the chicken. She lays the eggs for children to eat. She goes cluck... Say cluck, cluck." 

"Ca! Ca!" She shouted, excited to see a picture of a chicken. 

"That's another we'll have to work on, but for the most part, correct. Okay... Last one... Here is the goat. The goat makes milk and cheese and goes beh... Can you say beh?" 

"Ba!" 

I closed the book, "Sort of, but don't worry. Beh, baa, I can't tell the difference. Wanna read another one? Yeah? Alright, go get one." I set her down as she ran toward her crib, where beneath it we kept a basket of books. She searched through the basket before pulling a very colorful one out. She ran towards me, handing me the book. "Ah, zoo animals. Good choice, babe. C'mon. Last book before we put you to sleep because Daddy has a lot to do tomorrow." I lifted her on to my lap, in which she took the same position I previously had her in. "Alright...This is an elephant. They are very big animals and have a long memory, and a very long nose called a trunk. They make a trumpet sound. Press the button, mama." I pointed to the bar of sounds on the side of the book.

With her small finger, she pressed it. From the speaker, a trumpet sound came out. She giggled with excitement. It made me smile with happiness. "How cute. Okay... Turn the page for daddy... This is the lion. It is the king of the jungle and goes ROAR! Press the button." 

When she heard the roar, she shook with fear, grasping my shorts. "Woah! Scary huh? Lions are bad. Bad lion. Okay..." I said, turning the page. "This is a monkey. They spend a lot of time up in trees and like to eat fruits. This one has a banana. They go eee....eee...eee..." I scoffed, "Okay they so do not make that sound. Illiterate book. Monkeys go like this, oooh-ooohh aah-aah!" 

She chuckled, "Ooooo, aaaa!" 

"Good job bubs. Alright... Turn the page again..." From the corner of my eye, I saw my phone's screen light up. It was Jackie calling-- My heart skipped a beat. I didn't know whether or not to answer it. We hadn't spoken in a few days and I wasn't sure what would happen if we did. I chose to ignore it. "This is the tiger. It is a big cat that hunts in the jungle. Be careful not to run into one of these big cats in the jungle! It goes GRRRRRR... Say grr, baby."