The Choice Is Mine

After this chapter, I'm taking a break from writing so I can see where I'm at with school! So, I'll still be on and I'll talk to you guys :) But I'm just taking a short break.

I love you all and thank you so much for your support<33

Days passed and Brian and Sophia both got better quickly. I was able to go back to work, but golly-gee, I didn't want to. I just wanted to stay home with them and have some fun. 

With baseball season coming to a close in a few months, things were really slow and I found myself either painting my nails or looking at videos on Youtube at work. I had absolutely nothing to do and when I did have something to do, I found it completely boring. 

Spinning around in my chair, I began to slowly nod into a sleep; a sleep well needed since I was up with Sophia for the past few nights. Congestion isn't a baby's best friend. 

I was suddenly woken up by my phone which rang on the desk. I spun myself around, checking who was calling. A picture of Brian making a funny face was shown on the screen. I was so happy to see him calling. I figured he could bring me lunch while him and Sophia stood there with me, just eating. 

"Yes, Prince Charm-" 

"Jackie. Get to Huntington Memorial now." He ordered with worry in his voice.

My heart began to beat fast as my mind started filling up with negative thoughts. "Brian, what's wrong?" I asked, pushing myself out of my chair and swinging my bag over my shoulder. 

"I was trying to do that humidifier shit and I left Sophia unattended for like one second to plug it in and I just heard this scream." His voice shook with fear and worry as he began to explain what happened. "And she was on the floor. She rolled off the bed and I'm scared that she might have a concussion. Baby I'm so sorry." 

"It's okay. Just get to the hospital babe. Try to keep her awake and crying or something. Don't let her sleep!" I said leaving work as fast as I could. I could hear him snivel on the other side of the line. I could only imagine how bad he felt for letting it happen. "Brian." I called his named out. 

"What?" He responded in a very somber tone as I heard car doors being slammed shut.  

"She's gonna be okay, alright? It's probably just a little bump. She's going to be fine. I'm gonna get on the road, so I'll meet you there." 

"Okay." He quietly said, then hung up. 

I was worried for Sophia but I was also worried about Brian. He sounded really scared about it and although he should be, it wasn't much to worry about. Babies fall all the time. She'd be okay. I just knew it. 

I sped from my work to the emergency room at Huntington Memorial, desperate to see Soph and Brian. I wouldn't stop worrying until I saw that they were both okay. 

I walked in, eyeing Brian from the wide window holding Soph tightly in his arms. She already had the identification bracelet around her ankle and he held a small ice pack to her head. 

"Brian." I said, out of breath, sprinting towards him. He stood up, only taking his eyes off the baby for nearly a second. "Is she okay?" I asked, throwing my bag on the chair behind him. 

He nodded, handing her over to me. "She's gonna be okay... It's just a small bump. They wanted to call children's services..." He muttered rubbing the back of his neck. 

In my head, I began to think of why they wanted to call social services on him. But as a nurse or doctor, the first thing that would come to mind when someone brings in a baby who has a bump on her head, would be neglect. "Why did they decide not to?"