When Family Judges

Brian, as always was right. Zacky and Matt both quickly picked up on the idea of me joining them in the fashion field and they agreed on meeting me for dinner at Ruby's Diner on the Pier. I was excited, but I was trying not to get my hopes up. I didn't want it to lead to disappointment. 

Brian, Sophia and I arrived at the restaurant a bit early and ordered a few drinks for everyone once they arrived. I was feeling a bit nervous and I wasn't sure why. They're just my cousins. But at the same time, they were going to judge my work and I absolutely hate being judged. 

"You can leave her in the car seat babe. No one is gonna take her." I told Brian as he held Sophia extremely close to his chest. I really loved how he was so protective over her. He shook his head, dipping his finger into his soda then placing it into her mouth. Out of anger and surprise, I smacked his arm. "Babe, you can hurt her stomach like that! She's not supposed to drink or eat our food til she's like five months!" 

"Your mom told me that your grandma used to give you table food starting at two months." He retorted. "Plus, it's diet." 

I giggled, "Yeah, like it makes a difference. You know other than you feeding our daughter table food in front of me, you're an amazing dad babe." 

"Of course I am. Look at me. I've got the skill." He sat Sophia on the table and proceeded to give her kisses in which she smiled. "See, females love me. Specially this one." 

"Hey! Sorry I'm la- Zacky's not here yet?" My cousin Matt asked as he arrived, removing his jacket and placing it behind a seat. I shook my head standing up to hug him. "I could've sworn he texted me saying he was on his way. Oh my gosh, give me her. I haven't held her in days." Brian handed her over to Matt who held her the same way any guy with out experience would hold a baby, but I wasn't worrying. 

"Speak of the devil himself." Brian said taking a mozzarella stick and biting the tip. He gestured his head towards the door causing me to turn. "Lindsay is with him too." 

"Home-wrecker?" Matt asked, looking towards the door as these two love birds made their way towards our table. 

"Matt!" I said, hoping he'd get the hint that it was rude to call her a home-wrecker. 

He chuckled, jumping Sophia on his knees. "I'm kidding. We get along like that. She's a really cool girl."

"Hands off the merchandise, Baker. She's your brother's." Brian warned Matt. 

I rolled my eyes, standing up to greet Zacky who looked a little better than he did a few days ago. "Hey, you look better." 

He released Lindsay's hand and wrapped his arms around my shoulder frame. "I'm feeling better to. You remember, Lindsay from your wedding?" 

"Of course." I said smiling at her, "It's nice to see you again. Have a seat you guys. So uh, what took you so long Zacky?" 

He shrugged, as a smirk grew on his face, "N- Nothing. We were parking the car." 

"You don't even live that far from here and you brought your car?" Brian asked trying to understand the logic in that, but I knew he was giving him a hard time. 

"It's a long walk." Zacky bit back. "Can we change the subject please? Where's the menus? I'm hungry." 

"You're always hungry." I said, reading the text that Gena sent me. That's when I remembered that Lindsay still hadn't met Sophia, officially. "Oh Lindsay, this is our daughter, Sophia." 

Her face softened and she pouted,  "Oh my God she's adorable! It's unique for a baby to have both parent's features, but I can definitely see you both in this baby." 

"Thanks. She gets it from me." Brian cockily said, throwing his arm over my shoulder. "Oh and I think Jackie had a big part in it too. But you know, the looks all thanks to me." 

I stabbed Brian in the abdomen with my elbow as we all continued to talk about enjoy our dinner. 

But we weren't there to socialize, it was a business meeting, per say. 

"So do you have the look-books?" Zacky asked. I reached under the table and pulled out a few of the books I had sketched into. I passed them to Matt and Zacky to look over. 

It kind of frightened me when they didn't speak or have any type of emotion on their faces while they turned the pages... I took this little moment as an opportunity to get to know Lindsay more. 

"So uh, Linds?" I asked, clearing my throat and playing with Sophia's hair. "What do you do for a living?" 

"I'm a photographer. I'm currently helping Metal Hammer shoot a few photo-shoots. I also am a free-lance worker." 

I nodded, amused since I never actually met photographers. "That's pretty cool. I'm gonna take a lucky guess and say that's how you met Zacky?" 

This time, she nodded, "Yeah. It was spontaneous, but totally worth it." 

"It was hilarious when I caught them doing things." Brian added. "They both freaked out. I'll never forget that day." 

She chuckled, probably in embarrassment, "Yeah, thanks for that again. Your husband was really nice to help us keep things on the DL. I understand why now. But things happen for a reason. All that matters now is that we're together." 

"That's exactly what I tell her." Brian again, added. He pecked my lips quickly, "See! Even she knows nothing in the past matters. The only thing that matters is that we're together now." 

"Yes, yes. Okay, Brian." I hushed him away. I felt Sophia's head tilting to one side, giving me the impression that the party was just about over for her. I cradled her in my arms as Brian draped her zebra blanket over my shoulder, blocking any light from hitting her face. 

"Alright. I've seen enough." Matt said, placing the book in the center of the table. "I'm gonna talk to the company that sponsors me and see what they can do. This is amazing. You should've taken this rather than business management!" 

"It never dawned on me though. And thanks." I said.

Zacky rubbed his chin, flipping through the final pages of the look-book. Once it was closed, he didn't make eye contact with me, instead, he stared at his glass filled with water. "I'm going to give you three really good options. One of them I'm gonna have to talk it over with the guys, but the others are all up to you. Okay?" I nodded in anticipation. "One. You can work with Vengeance University designing clothes and styles, I'll pay you more than the vendors because you'll be designing. Two is Matt's idea. You have a lot of clothes that would be extremely popular with people from Cali and other places. Opening a store side by side with Matt would seriously benefit the both of you. And three is the one where I have to consult with the guys." 

"What's three?" 

I looked over at Brian who looked just as confused as I did. He simply shrugged. 

"Three," Zacky started, "Three is working with Cam, side by side. Your drawing method is so similar to his that he'd die to work with you. You guys together would work on album covers, t-shirt designs, things like that. Or you can do all of them. Choice is yours." 

"I like the last option." Brian said, putting in his input. "You should do them all. You can totally do it. I believe in you babe." 

I was flattered that they liked what I had. Question was, was I prepared to be judged by other professionals in this field? 

"I mean, I'd take up all the offers. I've always wanted to open my own store but I can't do it alone." I said. 

"You don't have to. Open one up with Matt and you'll have him. We're all gonna support you. But you need to let me know so we can call the company."  

Taking a deep breath after moments of collaboration with my inner-self, I came to a conclusion. "Let's do this then."