My Best Creation

NOTE: I've written a few more chapters but I'mma take a break from writing for about a week because I'm kind of busy with school :) 

So enjoy <3 

After handing the baby to my dad, I walked to the door, joining the nurse in the hallway between the NICU nursery and the actual hallway. Dr.  Andrus was there with a clipboard and what I assume to be news. 

My mind was going crazy as these thoughts filled it up. Some where negative and some were positive. I just had HOPE that she'd make it through...

"Hello, Mr. Haner." He said shooting me a smile.

I returned the smile and bowed my head, "Hi... How is she?" I asked, not wasting anytime. 

He nodded, "She's fine. She hemorrhaged but she's in her room now recovering.It's all under control. I see you've met your daughter?" 

My heart was finally calm and it was beginning to beat normally again, but I wouldn't be completely satisfied or convinced that Jackie was okay until I saw her for myself. I turned around, looking into the NICU window at my dad holding my daughter. "Yeah." I smiled. "She's beautiful. Thank you for delivering her." 

"No problem. What's her name? 

"Sophia Elowen Haner. Can I uh... See Jackie now?" 

"Sure. Once the nurses here have Miss Sophia ready, they'll wheel her to Jackie's room." 

"Thank you so much!" I shook his hand, turning on my heel back into the NICU. My dad was too in love with Sophia to even notice me arriving back at his side. "Dad." I said, getting his attention. He took his eyes off her for a moment and raised his eyebrows. "She's okay. She's back at her room." 

"You see! I told you Brian. It all went well."

"I know." I smiled with utmost happiness. "I'm gonna go see her. The doctor said they're gonna take Soph up to the room once they get her situated. You coming?" 

The nurse stood at my dad's side, ready to take Sophia into his arms at any minute but I don't think he wanted to let her go. "No. I think I'll go back to the waiting room and tell everyone that everything is okay. You spend some quality time with your wife and this precious angel." He kissed the top of her head, handing her back to the nurse. "Go on. I'll see her in a bit." 

"I love you pops." I swung my arms around his body once the baby was safe in the nurse's arms. He returned the hug, "Thank you for being so positive." 

"No problem son." He said, patting my back. "Go see how Jackie is." 

I nodded, "I am. Oh and can you take her up as soon as possible? I want Jackie to see her." 

The nurse giggled, "Of course. Expect us up in about fifteen minutes." 

I made my way out of the room and through various hallways before I arrived at Jackie's room. The door was open and it was dead silent in there. Peeking through the curtain gap, I saw Jackie lying on the bed, staring out into space. Even drugged out she looked beautiful.  

"Hey you." I greeted, feeling a bit teary-eyed. I felt the need to smother her with kisses and thank God she was spared. 

She smiled, waving me over, "Baby. You left me after I fell asleep." 

I walked to her bedside, giving her a kiss on the forehead, then rubbing my thumb over her cheek. I didn't know what to say. She wasn't even aware that she almost died and I wanted to keep it like that... "Uh, I got a bit lightheaded and they asked me to wait outside." 

She nodded, "Okay. But you were there with me?" 

"Of course... I didn't leave your side." I lied, trying my best to convince her and myself that nothing went wrong. It was simply a glitch. 

"Did you get a chance to hold Sophia?"

I felt a smirk tug at the corner of my lips. "Yeah. It was amazing baby. One minute she was inside of you. The next she was in my arms. She's my little angel." 

"I wanna hold her too... I can't believe I fell asleep. I'm such a bad mom..." She said, putting herself down. 

I simply shook my head, wrinkling my nose, "You're not. You were tired. But don't worry, Sophia is a prize. She weighs seven pounds, two ounces. She's also seventeen inches long. She looks just like you, except the nose. Her eyes are beautiful, baby. You have to see her for yourself."

She grabbed my hand, giving it a soft kiss, "I'm really happy we have a baby. I wouldn't want anyone to father my child besides you..." 

"And I wouldn't want anyone to mother my child besides you, bubs." I gently caressed her cheek with my free hand, allowing my fingers to soak in the beautiful touch of her skin. "You did amazing though... You're a tough cookie." 

"Thank you. And I'm glad you didn't pass out. I'm glad you saw Soph being born." 

"Knock, knock." A nurse said coming into the room, pushing a little glass crib, "Look who I brought to see their mommy and daddy... Little Sophia bear!" She used an excited tone.

My stomach filled with butterflies as the nurse pushed her to the side of Jackie's bed. Witnessing her reaction to seeing her daughter for the first time, made me happy. 

The nurse carefully took Sophia out of the crib and placed her in Jackie's arms. "Oh my God..." Jackie whispered, stroking the baby's face, "Brian, look at her..." 

"I know." I said, sitting on the bed, next to her and Soph.

"I'll leave her here. " The nurse started. "Enjoy little Miss Sophia."

"Thank you." I said, since Jackie was too into Sophia to even acknowledge the nurse. "So, do you like her?" 

"Are you kidding?" She asked, giggling, "I love her. She's so beautiful." 

"She looks just like you." I added. 

Jackie scoffed, "She's all you. The nose. Look at that nose. She's gonna have the Haner eyes, I can give you that much." 

I shook my head, laughing, "I hope not. I want her to have your beautiful eyes." 

"Well I'm praying she has your eyes." She peeled her eyes away from the baby only to meet with mine. I gave her a smile, in which she  returned. "I love you so much Brian." 

"I love you too babe." I kissed her lips then turned my attention back to the baby. For some reason, I couldn't stop looking at my angel. 

Out of all the solos I've created and the lyrics I've written, they weren't anything compared to the beautiful creation I've created with one of the most gorgeous women on the planet... And I'm lucky enough to call her mine. Correction: THEM mine.