Killing Two Birds With One Stone

A day later, Jackie still wasn't speaking to me. However, I deserved it., so I couldn't blame her. 

But oh man, how I fucking missed her and her perpetual whining about how I never pick up my clothes from the restroom... 

And over a matter of 24 hours, things were different and I didn't like it one bit. I absolutely hated fighting with her to begin with but now, I loathed it, if that's even the strongest word to use. 

I consulted with the guys, including Arin, with what I should do to at least find out what I did wrong. They all agreed on me tracing my steps back and finding the thing that triggered all of this. 

Zacky was the greatest help when he mentioned the whole Gena and Brennen thing. 

So I did what I thought was best; I swallowed my pride and went to Gena's work to apologize to her... And get a haircut. Might as well kill two birds with one stone

I entered the salon, which was actually quiet for the first time in a long time. The only two stations open were Gena's and her co-worker Tara's. At least I'd have some privacy while I apologized for being the pompous asshole that I am. 

"Brian, what are you doing here?" Gena asked, walking out of the backroom with a blow dryer in her hands. 

I raised my eyebrows, "Nothing just uh, wondering if you can trim my hair a bit." 

"Sure, I got time. We have to wet your hair though, so follow me to the backroom." I removed my jacket and did as she said. As she washed my hair, there was this awkward silence that never was there to start with. "So how short do you want it?" She asked after we were done in the washroom, heading back to her work station. 

"Just enough. I don't want  my spikes anymore. I'm done with that phase. I just want to be able to run my hand through my hair, ya'know?" She nodded, combing and parting my hair. Time to grow a pair. "Gena, I'm sorry for the way I acted the other night when you had that date with Brennen." 

I looked at her reflection in the mirror, her face growing tense, "Don't apologize." 

"I have to!" I protested, "You don't get it. I was jealous of him. I'm jealous of any guy who has laid a hand on Jackie. And making matters worse, I was drunk.I should have controlled myself and I didn't. I understand if you don't forgive me. I don't even forgive myself."  

She chuckled, "I do forgive you. But honestly Bri, Jackie only has eyes for you. Not once has Jackie and Bren ever flirted, even when they saw each other for the first time at the shops, they didn't. I did. That dinner wasn't to benefit Jackie in any type of way, shape or form. It was for me." 

"I know," I sighed,  "I should've thought of that before I spoke."

"It's okay Syn, don't kill yourself over it." She said, snipping bits off my hair. 

Don't kill myself over it? I've already killed myself for it. "I just... We've been fighting and ever since Johnny's wedding night she's totally avoided me and I'm beginning to wonder what stupid thing I could've said that triggered this." 

"Well," She hissed, "When I said I wanted to leave because of Zacky and Linds-" 

Before she could finish, it came to me. I remembered everything at that moment and if there was a 16-wheeler passing by, I wouldn't hesitate to throw myself in front of it. 

"Of course," I said aloud,  "I remember why she's mad now." 

"Yeah," Gena agreed, "Jackie kind of spilled the beans when she was drunk. I don't blame Zacky though. I'd feel uncomfortable, myself, if I had taken Brennen."