Crimson Day

This book is HALF WAY done. Oh my God, I don't want it to end lol.

 Brian and I weren't on the very best of terms as the weeks sneaked up on us. 

Despite everything that happened in New York with his sudden outburst, I managed to fake a smile and pretend I was okay with it. Deep down inside, I was dying. Ever since then, I actually feared Brian. I feared everything from other guys making eye contact with me to answering Dennis' occasional phone calls. I wanted to get through whatever was going on with us. But I knew it wasn't me that had to get through anything. It was him. He had to get over being jealous. And if he couldn't do that, I would be hopeless.

However, Sophia and River's first birthdays were just around the corner and Val, Matt, Brian and I arranged a Rockstar themed party for the two kids at our house just two weeks before their actual birthdays. I couldn't afford to be sad and bothered. I wanted everything to be perfect, even if Soph wouldn't remember her first birthday when she grew up. 

As the day quickly approached, I didn't have the time to think about being sad-- Not with the planning, decorating and welcoming our guests. And although Val and I had enough hands to help, there was still the pressure of keeping Sophia clean and keeping Zacky and Johnny far away from the cake as possible.

"Looks like your chocolate dipped strawberries are a hit, Jackie." Suzy said entering the kitchen with an empty tray. I smiled and removed some steaks from the fridge to take them to Matt and Brian who were taking over the grill. "I might just have to hide some for later." 

"Be my guest, mom. We have like four dozen strawberries in the fridge. Hide as many as you'd like. How are they doing on the grill?" 

She chuckled, pulling out a new batch of chocolate dipped strawberries, "Well, Brian's dad had to stop eating his steak because Matt almost set himself on fire. Other than that, I think they're doing a pretty damn good job. How about you? How are you doing in here?" 

"I'm doing good just trying to get everything done before the boys showcase the song they wrote for the babies. I want to hear it and I can't if I'm stuck in here." 

"I hear you. Well I'm taking these out, hopefully you join us outside soon, baby." Suzy said. She kissed my cheek then headed out. 

From the glass door, I looked at Brian who was laughing with Matt over the grill. He seemed so happy and carefree, making me wonder if he really was as happy and carefree as he sold himself out to look. Everyone knows Brian as the type of guy who hides his true feelings. But sometimes, I just needed him to be vulnerable so I could really know what was running through his mind. 

"Jackie." Lindsay entered through one side of the sliding door with Sophia on her side. "I have an upset stomach. I ate late last night and now I think I'm paying for it. Do you have like anything that will take the nausea away? It's pretty disgusting." 

I took Sophia from her arms, planting a kiss on her little lips. "Yeah, it's in the restroom. It's Pepto. That's all I have though. Sorry. I can send Brian to get you som-" 

"No!" She jumped at me. "I mean, no cause it's Sophia and River's party. If I feel worse, I'll just tell Zacky to get me something. Meanwhile, Pepto will do. Restroom, right?" 

I nodded, "Yeah." Abruptly the doorbell rang. "Excuse me." I hurried to the door only to come face to face with the two most important people in my life. I was shocked to see them on my porch. "Dad?" 

He smiled, holding up a gift, "Happy Birthday, Sophia Bear! Hi sweetie." 

I threw myself into his arms, surprised to see him in California with Randy. "Oh my God, what are you two doing here? I thought you couldn't make it?!"