"Cole?" I took a deep breath, ignoring what he had just said and focusing on a more outrageous subject.

"Yes Nova?"

"I've never brought this up before. Because I sound needy, and paranoid. But, do you promise to never leave me?" I held my breath.

A silence occurred, as he watched me lick my lips. I wanted him to understand how much I actually cared about him.

"Nova," He whispered gently into my ear, "Take a minute and realize something. After these past few days, I've made it my goal to never leave you. Do you understand?"

I couldn't help but smile, and feel my heart tingle in a weird way, "Does that mean you do promise?"

He kissed my ear, "I promise. So stop being paranoid."

"Okay, sorry," I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, "After what happened with my ex boyfriend. I have a hard time trusting anyone really."

"Hey, I'm not your ex boyfriend. We're too completely different people with different personalities. So calm down."

"Jeez, okay," I playfully punched his shoulder, "I know I'm annoying, but you don't have to get all annoyed."

He didn't say anything, he squeezed me tightly and giggled, "Can you stop talking bad about yourself. You aren't annoying, you're perfect."

I shook my head, "No you are. I mean, look at yourself."

"Nova. This is very random but will you go to prom with me," He yawned, "I honestly forgot it existed for a while."

The words sunk deep into my heart, the prom was something I never thought of. It was something I looked forward to doing at my old school, but this school was different- fuck, I barely even went school as it was.

"Prom?" I parted my lips, "I'd love to."

*

And here I am. Watching the happy couples gallop around the school, talking about prom and their prom outfits. All these other girls weren't as in love as I was with Cole, and it as obvious. But now I just didn't know how to feel about him.

I ran into the bathroom quickly. Once I got into a stall, I crawled on top of the seat and held my knees close to me.

I needed to pray. So that's what I did.

"Dear Heavenly Father," I started, "If you're watching Cole right now. Please keep him safe, and let him know how much I love him! Because I need him!" I realized how stupid I sounded, but continued, "Let him know how important he is, and give him the courage to come back. Please. Amen."

Once I was done I pulled out my phone and texted Dylan.

Me: Hi, can you pick me up I'm not doing so well,

Dylan: What's wrong?

Me: I miss him Dylan! And I'm sorry for being repetitive, but I don't know how long I can do this for!

Dylan: I understand. I'll come pick you up.

Me: Thanks, you're a life saver

I waited outside for him and leaned against the tree Cole used to lean against. As I walked around the side, I noticed something very small carved into the tree.

C + N

As in Cole and Nova. Right? It had to have been. God, all of this was tearing me apart. I sound so needy, as if my world revolves around the boy I knew for three whole days.

I leaned against the tree and smiled, feeling the cold tears drip from my eyes. As I tried to hide my crying, but just couldn't.

"It's okay," I mumbled to myself, "You don't need him. And he obviously doesn't need you. So all you have to do is move on."

At that moment Dylan pulled up to the high school, his nice silver truck making loud noises.

He got out and walked towards me, "Are you okay Nova?"

I hid my face, so I could wipe my tears away, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just being my usual stupid self."

He leaned against the tree, looking completely different than he had this morning, "You're going to get through this. I'm your best friend, and that's what I'm supposed to help you with."

"I don't know," I shook my head, "He isn't coming back. And I need to move on."

He gave me a synthetic look, "I really don't get you sometimes Nova Dillon. You knew him for how long? Three days. You shouldn't be feeling this way. It would make sense if you would've known each other longer, but this isn't cool."

"The proms tonight," I rose my voice, "He won't be here like he promised. So I might as well stay home and eat away my feelings.

"What do you want me to tell you Nova? Huh?" he suddenly became upset, "You want me to tell you that he loves you? Well I'm sure he does."

"Are you hiding something for me Dylan?" I said defensively, "If you are, I'll beat your ass!"

"I'm not hiding anything. Just come on, I don't want to talk about Cole anymore," He rolled his eyes and headed back towards his truck, "He's done nothing but disappoint you."

The rest of the ride home was silent. I just knew he knew something I didn't, and it bugged the hell out of me. I was going to make him speak one way or another.