Communication- Clint Barton x Mute!Reader

Words in italics will be in sign language. Also I feel like I have to apologize for the rough start.

Your throat had been cut on a dangerous mission. The doctors managed to save your life but it your vocal cords were left permanently damaged, leaving you mute. You had taught yourself sign-language to compensate for your lack of speech but unfortunately, most people misunderstood and yelled at you, thinking you were deaf. S.H.I.E.L.D. had reassigned you to a new team and that was how you met Clint. Clint was actually deaf, yet he was the only one that could understand you. You'd spend hours silently conversing and after a few weeks of friendship, he asked you out. After one year, he asked you to marry him.

...

One night, you were sitting on your bed watching an old video of yourself on your tablet. You never liked the sound of your voice before but now that you couldn't speak, it was like still having that piece of you that you had lost.

"What're you doing in here babe?" Clint asks, entering the bedroom. You quickly paused the video and stuffed your tablet under a pillow. This was not the first time you had done this.

Nothing

Clint walked over to the bed and fished for the device. You tried to stop him but he took it out and resumed the video. He watched you on the screen laughing and talking with your friends. Clint turned the tablet off and placed it on the bedside table.

"Why do you do this to yourself Y/N?" he asked, knowing every time you watched the video it made you sad. You sighed through your nose and touched your neck before giving him an explanation.

Because I hate this. I hate people shouting at me, I hate not being able to use my voice, I just hate it

Clint sat next to you on the bed.

"Y/N... Do you think I like being deaf?" You were stunned. Clint rarely spoke about his deafness.

"It's difficult yes, and some days the hearing-aids really annoy me but I've learned to adapt. I know you have too but it's not easy is it?" You shook your head.

We're broken, aren't we?

"Yeah... I guess we are. Comes with the territory of saving the world," he shrugged, making you smile. Clint suddenly took out his hearing-aids and placed them on the bedside table.

What are you doing, Clint?

What does it look like I'm doing?

Clint leant forward and kissed you, placing his hands on the sides of your face. You kissed back, threading your fingers in his hair. After a few minutes of passionately making-out, Clint kissed down jaw and towards your neck. You pushed him away. Clint knew how self-conscious you were about your scar. You hated it; it was just an ugly reminder of what you were put through. Clint held your face again and leant his forehead against yours, his thumbs stroking your cheeks. It was his way of telling you that he adored you no matter what. He placed his hand on the side of your neck as if asking permission. You nodded and Clint began kissing your neck, tracing your scar with his lips. Slowly, the clothes were removed and you were between the sheets. Before Clint lowered his body to yours, you placed your hands on his chest, stopping him. He watched as you traced words on his skin with your finger.

I... LOVE... YOU

Clint beamed at you and placed a kiss over your heart to let you know that he loved you too. The words didn't need to be said to know how you felt. Your relationship was built on trust and understanding. Clint read your body language and facial expressions to know how you were feeling and you were always there to listen to him. He was your voice when you couldn't speak and you were his ears. In many ways, you completed each other.