Chapter 20

When we got to the Valkyrie kingdom by a flying horse and carriage, which was very scary, Charlotte showed us into her home it was like nothing I have ever seen. Light tan walls, stone floors, everything you would image that scream the beat's castle in the beauty and the beat, almost. Even if the place did seem plain it was beautiful.

"Welcome to my home, Barbara. Your room is in the east wing along with mine," Princess Charlotte said spinning on her heel and pointing to the east.

Following her finger I looked at Goliath, who was staring at me. "And Goliath's?" I asked never looking away from his gaze.

"In the backyard with the other mutts," she spun around and walked to the other side of the room to the staircase.

Goliath flinched forward like he was ready to jump her but I quickly got in front of him, "He can't sleep outside!" I yelled. "Can he not sleep in a room here?" I asked following her.

"Men are not a loud to sleep in the castle. It has been our rules since the beginning."

"Why? Then were does your king sleep."

"Valkyrie's do not need men," Charlotte spoke turning her head slightly towards me. "Therefore we don't have a king. Just the Queen and she's setting up for war," she said glaring at Goliath then to me.

"What the Valkyrie is not telling you is that all Valkyrie's are born girls. But they can change their sex whenever they please," Goliath spoke close behind me.

How does that work? I never heard such a thing. I mean I hear story in fiction were men are men during the day and went the sun fall his entire body would become a woman. What was that called? It's going to bother me to no end, I thought.

Charlotte stop, turned and glared down on Goliath, "I'm surprised, you even know that mutt," she spoke with a smirk, "Guard!" in sounds her guards surrounded us pointing their spares at us. "Take the mutt in the back, he will be staying with us. So be kind, we don't want you to make Queen Gwendolyn upset do we."

The guards flinched and quickly put down their weapons. With a bow to the princess and I, Goliath yells, "I'm not leaving Bar-"

"Goliath!" I yelled over him, I didn't know what came over me, "Listen." I calmly said. "To build trust you must listen so they know you're not a threat to them. Okay," he looks away and nods, "I'll call for you if I need you."

He snapped his head at me, looking like a child, "But!"

"Nothing is going to happen, I promise. Now go." As guilty as I felt I tried to cover it up trying to play my role. He looking away once more and turned away from me as the guards showed him to the back.

"You are something," Charlotte laughed.

Glaring up at her, "You try anything funny and I will let him go on a killing spree."

"Maybe you really are Gwendolyn," she laughs going up the stairs, "Come! I will show you your room!"

Once she showed my master bedroom. I was left alone before she said that she will have someone get me for dinner and that I should get use to the room. Looking around I couldn't image how I could get used to it. Everything I have gone through up until now has been a living hell. I have an army on my ass, I have blisters on my feet from all the walking, I just witness...

My chest sank as my jaw shivered. My eyes wonder around the room, blinking, trying not to let the tears escape. How could I ever get used to this? Never, never in my life have I seen the things I have seen in the past few days. How quickly you can lose someone you just meet. And all of it was my fault. I was the one who fell asleep on Goliath. It was my fault that I didn't stop him, we should have just continued on without taking shelter. We should have left the moment I woke in that bed and maybe... maybe they would still be here.

Taking a deep breath I walked over to the end of king size bed, throw my book down, sitting down and picking myself up to cruel in a ball. How could Gwendolyn not feel this pain? How could she be so heartless! How could Ophelia he so heartless and I care about a life!

Picking my up and sat, glaring at the book to my side. "Why? Why did you bring me here!" I yelled at the book. Like it could talk, I laughed while looking away. "God damn it!" I yelled looking at the book and picking it up and throwing it at the makeup vanity, mirror. The mirror shattered into piece as the book bounce off the vanity onto the floor, opened. "Shit!" I hissed.

Running up to the vanity, I picked up the book off the floor. Without thinking I read a page.

"Why don't you rest, Gwen. I'll have someone come get you for dinner," Princess Charlotte smiled resting her hand on Gwendolyn's shoulder.

"Thank you," Gwendolyn responded with a smile, looking behind her.

Princess Charlotte slowly moved her hand away Gwendolyn's shoulder. As Gwendolyn watched her friend leave she slowly faced the room. Losing her smile she looked around the red filled room with the king size bed caved in sliver covers. With the makeup vanity and dresser on the other side in the same shade of gray and the bed covers.

Slowly, almost weakly, Gwendolyn made her way to the vanity and sat down. With her hands on her lap she had her head low. Gwendolyn was still in shock of what her sister was capable of. She never thought Ophelia would make such a high order to kill the innocent just to get to her. A mother and a child. It was unforgivable. With her hand on top of the other she squeezed.

"Sister, why? Why must you do this?!" Gwendolyn yelled in a low tune, picking her head up, staring in to the mirror. "They were good people!" Gwendolyn started at herself, a self of her she hasn't seen she was a little girl. Her eyes were red and puffy, hot tears streamed down, almost cutting her cheeks.

In shock, she stared that the mirror. No I must me strong, I can't be week to the enemy, she thought. But she couldn't stop the tears, couldn't stop her heart sinking farther into her. Why? Why, "Ophelia!" she screamed throwing a punch at the mirror. The mirror shattered around her fist as she took deep breaths. "Sister," she whispered to herself, "I can't forgive you this time. You have betrayed me, you have lied to me, and I'm coming for you. You are no longer my blood. No longer my sister."

Slowly shutting the book I felt ashamed of myself. Gwendolyn is just like me. To others she strong, cold, and a warrior. But deep down there is more than that to her character. Deep down, she made herself this way for her sister, for her people, for her kingdom. They needed a leader, someone to look up to, someone to give them hope.

And that's who I must be. I have to be strong, to leaded like Gwendolyn, and take my kingdom back. So I must know everything about this place. About the witches, the Lycan, the war, my role and only then I will be able to avenge the lives Ophelia took from this world, I thought glaring at myself through the shattered mirror.