Chapter 56

“Written in these walls are the stories that I can't explain, I leave my heart open but it stays right here empty for days. She told me in the morning she don't feel the same about us in her bones, it seems to me that when I die these words will be written on my stone. And I'll be gone, gone tonight. The ground beneath my feet is open wide, the way that I been holding on too tight, with nothing in between. The story of my life I take her home I drive all night to keep her warm and time… is frozen. The story of my life I give her hope, I spend her love until she's broke inside, the story of my life. Written on these walls are the colours that I can't change, leave my heart open but it stays right here in its cage. I know that in the morning now, I'll see us in the light upon a hill; although I am broken my heart is untamed still. And I been waiting for this time to come around, but baby running after you is like chasing the clouds. The story of my life I take her home, I drive all night to keep her warm and time… is frozen”

Harry

My hands continued to tremble by my sides, I felt every inch of my lungs were under fire and I couldn’t inhale the correct amount of oxygen to extinguish it. My vision became blurry from the tears that were now clouding my irises. I don’t know who you are! What? How did we go from almost getting married and being perfectly happy, to this? My body shook uncontrollably as I tried to keep the sobs soundless, I didn’t want to break down in front of them, I trusted them and they betrayed me.

“Harry?” Louis called my name but I couldn’t even register, I just sunk in deeper in myself, trying to rid my entirety of the pain and anguish that was now surging through my body like a live wire. I felt a soft hand caress my shoulder, my eyes remaining fixated on the cold, concrete flooring resembling how I felt on the inside when she shouted those five words. My entire world crumbled underneath me, every piece of my broken heart, that I was so hoping she would fix, shattered into tinier shards and there was absolutely nothing I could do to prevent it.

“I… I’m sorry.” She murmured her voice merely a whisper as she coaxed my chin up so that I could look at her. I turned my head, afraid that if I look in her eyes that I would lose it. That the rage I was fighting so hard to suppress would bubble up even more and explode and if that were to happen I would scare her away, never finding the strength to fix this… this mess. 

“Please look at me.” She pleaded, her voice cracking slightly. I turned my gaze, her eyes were glossy filled with unshed tears, the remainder of my heart tightened, and butterflies erupted in my stomach. I don’t know why I was so satisfied with the tears that were forming in her eyes, maybe it was the hope I was holding on to that she might, might just remember me and come running back into my arms. I knew that the idea would be farfetched and I knew that this wasn’t just some fucked up fairytale, but who could blame me for holding on to that hope.

“I’m sorry.” She repeated, her touch sent electric shivers through my veins and I never wanted her to let go, I wanted that feeling to last until the end of eternity. I placed my hand over hers, goosebumps formed over her skin from the cool contact of my hand.

Skye