Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

~

   Val sat in the living room with her mates and some of the pack. Many taking turns to feel Drake's belly for more responses from their cubs.
   Watching the excitement in all of her pack, Val had no idea how much cubs brought not into every last one of her Weres. It had been several years since the last pack had a cub born into their pack. Everyone was frenzied from excitement.
   Gazing passed many of her pack Val's eyes landed on Pierce approaching. Merely by sight, Val's heart paced erratically.
   Everyone seemed to notice Val's new emotion twisting their heads back to find Pierce behind them. She smiled as some lifted up to embrace her. Once they gave their greetings, without having to be told the pack all went outside leaving Pierce, Val and her mates alone.
   "Welcome back," Allira grinned.
   Pierce blushed. She knew they weren't naive to who she was with. "I haven't been gone that long."
   Drake eyes glisten. "You're glowing as much as I am." She smiled reaching her arm out. "Our cubs are finally announcing their little selves."
   Without argument, Pierce took a hold of Drake's hand being guided to her belly. She waited for a short while when she felt the life of the cubs kicking strongly at her hand. She moved her hand around and the cubs seemed to be aware of where her hand was moving, their kicks following her hand. Pierce smiled widely. "I'm so happy for you three."
   "Thanks..." Val said quietly.
   Pierce looked over at Val. She sighed softly. "Can we talk?"
   Swallowing in her fears, Val stood up. "We'll be back."
   They walked to the back patio quietly, neither not ready to speak.
   Pierce slid the sliding door shut as Val was already taking a seat in one of the lawn chairs by the fire pit. "How are you coping with everything?"
   Shrugging, Val responded vaguely. "One moment at a time."
   "You can tell me if you're angry." Pierce couldn't be sure but she wouldn't be upset if Val was angry at her. Every time Pierce thought back she should have known Val was her daughter. She failed Val as a mother.
   "Angry at who?" Val asked begrudgingly. Biting back a snarl Val shook her head. "I'm not mad."
   "You sound mad right now," Pierce pointed out.
   Okay," Val said. "I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at the situation. And jealous. And grievous. I should have been your daughter from day one. I should have lived as a wolf." She back another snarl. Just talking about her feeling made Val angry. Her chest tighten, teeth gritting. "It's whatever."
   "That's so human to say," Pierce said.
   Val was about to lash out until she saw the smile on Pierce's face. She was not insulting her. Merely making a joke. Val smiled weakly, not reaching her eyes. "Yeah...it is."
   "We know the truth now," Pierce said. "And though we were lied to...we know now."
   "So...let's make the best of what we know now..." Val mocked the direction of conversation Pierce was headed toward.
   Pierce smiled. "Exactly."
   "You do know...I look older than you. That makes me feel old." This time Val's smile reached her eyes.
   Pierce cackled. "I do look good for my age."
   Val rolled her eyes.
   The sliding door opened and Pierce growled before seeing who it was. By the scent of him she knew it was Brent.
   He walked through casually holding two cups in his hand.
   "Gone all this time and finally able to show your face again," Val snarled. She stood ready to throw him out again. "The only relief I have in telling you is that I'm not your sister."
   "Yeah, I heard the good news," Brent said smartly.
   Val stepped closer to him, Brent instinctively stepping back. "I came to make piece with Pierce." Brent nodded toward Pierce. "After that...I'm gone if you both still want."
   Taking a moment to consider, Pierce waved him on. "Let me talk to him...alone."
   "Are you telling me as my mother because I am the Alpha?"
   Pierce pursed her lips, a smile playing on it. She figured their would be many jokes coming from Val to help ease them into living with the truth of them as mother and daughter. "As your younger mother...I'm telling you to give us privacy."
   Val snickered heading out. "Guess you are going to make up for all the years if not telling me what to do." She closed the sliding door leaving Pierce alone with Brent.