Chapter 106

Alice's P.O.V

August 23, 1973

I woke up when I heard Paul coughing beside me. It didn't sound too good.

"Paul, are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine, love. It's just a bit of a cough" he said. I put my hand to his forehead.

"What are you doing?" Paul asked

"Checking to see if your head is warm, which it isn't" I said

"Really, I'm fine" Paul said.

"Fine but if you aren't feeling well, you know I'm more than happy to take care of you" I said, grabbing Paul's hand. He smiled and gave it a squeeze.

"I know. That's why you're a special wife" Paul said.

"I'm only a special wife for my special husband" I said. He pulled me towards him, trapping me in a kiss.

~

I was a little concerned about Paul, even though he told me he was feeling alright this morning. He kept on calling breaks and going off to another part of the studio. During one of the breaks, Linda and Denny came up to me.

"Was Paul feeling alright this morning?" Linda asked

"He was coughing this morning but other than that, he said he was fine" I said

"Are you sure he wasn't just saying that so you wouldn't worry about him?" Denny asked.

"I hope not" I said. Just then, Paul came back. We all looked at him with concern.

"Why are you all looking at me like that?" Paul asked

"Were you saying you were feeling alright this morning just so I wouldn't worry about you too much?" I asked

"Of coarse not, love. I'm fine. You all can stop worrying about me" Paul said

"You keep calling so many breaks and it's worrying us, mate" Denny said

"Would it make you all feel better if we did some more work for about two hours and then we can have an hour break?" Paul asked

"I feel like that would put us all at ease" Linda said

"Alright. Let's get to it then" Paul said

~

The first half hour, Paul seemed to be true to his word of feeling okay. I felt a little more relieve and I could tell Linda and Denny did too. We started on another song but in the middle of it Paul stopped singing and instead he started gasping for air. Linda, Denny and I stopped what we were doing.

"Paul, honey, are you alright?" I asked. I walked over to him and saw that he was as white as a sheet.

"Can't....breathe...." he croaked.

"Let's go outside and see if some fresh air will help, alright?" I said. Paul nodded and grabbed my hand. I lead him outside, with Linda and Denny following close behind. Once he felt the blazing heat on his skin, he fell to his knees.

"Paul, don't you dare!" I said, feeling tears slide down my cheeks. Denny quickly rushed inside to call an ambulance. I dropped to my knees and took Paul in my arms. I met his face with mine. He had fainted.

"Don't faint on me Paul! Come on, wake up, honey. I need you, the girls need you, the band needs you, all the fans need you. Don't die, please" I said but I couldn't understand myself. At this point, I was crying hysterically, with my breathing out of control.

"Alice, try to calm down please. Paul's just fainted and Denny called an ambulance" Linda tried to comfort me.

"Lin, Paul can't die! I love him! Ethel, Mary and Stella love him! He can't leave us!" I cried. I felt a pain in my chest and realized that it was my heart. I put my hand over my heart.

"Linda, my chest hurts" I said.

"Where exactly in your chest does it hurt?" Linda asked.

"M-my heart. I think I'm having a heart attack" I said. The pain continued and I felt like I was going to faint.

"Alice, you have to-" I didn't even hear Linda finish her sentence as I fell to the ground.

~

When I woke up, I found myself in a white room.

"Mommy, are awake now?" I heard Ethel's voice. I looked to my right and saw Joseph sitting with Mary and Stella. Ethel was standing beside the bed, holding onto my hand. I noticed her eyes were red and her cheeks were damp.

"I'm awake, sweetie" I said in a tired voice.

"You're okay!" Ethel said.

"I am. Have you been crying, sweetie?" I said

"I was scared, mommy. I thought you and daddy..." Ethel said, not wanting to finish her sentence.

"Well I'm fine now. How's Paul?" I asked

"Paul is going to be fine. The doctor said he had a bronchial spasm" Joseph said. There was a knock on the door. I looked over and noticed it was Paul. He looked as tired as I felt.

"Love, can I talk to you?" Paul asked. I nodded and looked over at Joseph.

"Come on, you three. Let's go find the others in the waiting room" he said. He held onto Stella and held Mary's hand as he walked out of the room. Ethel followed closely behind him. Paul walked over to me and kneeled beside the bed.

"Are you alright, love? The doctor told me you had a heart attack" Paul said

"I'm fine. My heart literally hurt at the thought of you leaving me" I said.

"I'm not going anywhere, love. Not for a long time" Paul said. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my lips.

"A bronchial spasm, huh?" I said

"Yeah. The doctor said it's from smoking so much" Paul said

"Maybe that's a sign then" I said

"Yeah. Starting today, I'm not going to smoke another cigarette. You should start considering the same thing, love. I don't want what happened to me, happen to you. Do you know how frightened I was when the doctor told
me you had a heart attack?" Paul said

"Well, I'm fine now. I think you're making a smart choice Paulie, even if the warning was a little frightening. I'm going to follow in your footsteps and never smoke another cigarette" I said

"That's my girl" Paul said. He pressed another kiss to my lips, this one more passionate. I was just happy that my Paulie was going to be okay.