Chapter 99

Alice's P.O.V

July 6, 1973

We were in Birmingham for our next show. We had a few hours before we had to rehearse so Linda and I continued with her lessons. I brought her to the stage where everything was all set up.

"Alright Linda. Let's start on your lesson for today" I said. She nodded and we walked over to the keyboard.

"What song do you want me to try?" Linda asked.

"I think we've gone over Live and Let Die enough to try it on your own. I'll sing and you play, alright?" I said. Linda nodded. I stood in front of her. She positioned her fingers on the starting keys.

"When you were young, and your heart was an open book, you used to say live and let live" I sang

"You know you did, you know you did, you know you did" Linda joined in. I couldn't help but smile.

"But if this ever changing world in which we're living, makes you give in and cry"

"Say live and let die" Linda and I both sang. She continued to play and I continued to sing, with Linda joining in at parts. When we finished, she had a proud smile on her face.

"Linda, that was amazing! Not just your playing but your singing as well" I said.

"Thanks Alice" Linda said

"You and I should start a duo. Our voices harmonize so well together!" I said

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Besides, you and Paul were meant to perform together" Linda said

"I think you've got the hang of everything. You're going to do so well in Newcastle" I said

"What are you going to play if I'm on keyboard for the night?" Linda asked.

"We can play together. Paul and I play the piano together sometimes. You and I can figure something out" I said

"So, what now?" Linda asked.

"You want to get something to eat? Just us two?" I said

"Sure. I'm going to go let Joseph know" Linda said

"Alright. I better go tell Paul" I said. Linda and I exited the stage and went to go tell our husbands what we were up to for the day.

~

After Linda and I went out for lunch, we still had time to spare so we did some shopping. While we looked around the store, I was asked for autographs a couple of times. I signed each one with a smile.

"Does fame ever get tiring?" Linda asked

"Yeah. Filming, touring, interviews, photoshoots, it's all tiring. Sometimes the fans can drive you crazy. Paul and I keep each other sane" I said

"I'm just glad you never forgot about me" Linda said

"Lin, that will never happen. I always remember you, even after the day you die" I said

"That day is a long ways away Alice. I'm not planning on dying before you, and you sure as hell better not die before me. We're dying around the same time" Linda said

"Good thing we're vegetarians then. We'll live long and happy lives" I said

~

After we bought some clothes, we still had another hour to kill before I had to go back for rehearsal.

"How should we spend the next hour?" I asked

"How about we get matching haircuts?" Linda said

"Matching haircuts? What are you thinking Lin?" I asked

"It's a surprise, and I know it's something that you can pull off" Linda said.

~

When we got to the hairdresser, Linda quietly told the stylists what to do. She was really making this a surprise for me and I trusted her.

"Alright. Follow us please" one of the stylists said. We followed them, and Linda and I were seated beside each other.

"Linda, I trust you deeply but this is making me more nervous than it should" I said

"Trust me. It'll look good on you" Linda said.

~

When our haircuts were finished, Linda and I both turned to look at each other. Her hair was shorter in the front but longer in the back. She had asked the stylists to give us mullets. However, Linda could actually pull it off.

"I knew you could pull it off Alice. Look in the mirror" Linda said. I turned to look in the mirror. My hair was exactly the same as Linda's. She was right. It didn't look too bad.

"See? I think Paul's going to love it" Linda said

"I think he's going to want one when he sees mine" I said

"Only one way to find out" Linda said. She paid for our haircuts and we made our way back to the Birmingham Odeon.

~

When we got back, Linda went to go find Joseph while I went to find Paul. My first thought was to head to our dressing room.

"Love, there you are!" I heard Paul say behind me. I turned around to see him walking towards me.

"We're ready to start rehearsal. Is that a new haircut?" Paul asked

"Yeah. Linda thought it would suit me so we got matching haircuts. Do you like it?" I asked. Paul smiled and began running his fingers through my hair.

"It looks good on you, love. Do you think it would look good on me?" Paul asked. I stared at him for a moment, trying to picture him with the same haircut.

"I think you could pull it off" I said, running my fingers through his soft, dark hair. He smiled, closed his eyes and sighed in contentment.

"Come on. Let's go show our bandmates your lovely new hair" Paul said. He grabbed my hand and led me out to the stage. The other three members of our band were chatting amongst themselves, waiting for Paul and I to return.

"I found her, and she's come back with new hair" Paul said. Everyone turned their head to look at me.

"Wow. It looks good on you Alice" Henry McCullough said. Denny Laine walked over to me and started running his fingers through my hair.

"I can oddly picture Paul with this haircut as well" Denny said, still combing his fingers through my hair.

"Alright that's enough. Fingers out of my wife's hair" Paul said. Denny chuckled and shook his head. He went back to his place on stage. Paul and I took our places as well and our rehearsal began.