Chapter 36

Alice's P.O.V

Paul took the girls out to the barn while Helen and I prepared for Maude and Albert's arrival.

"What are you planning to do with all the girls?" I asked. Helen smiled.

"We're going to have a princess tea party. I bought them dresses and tiaras" Helen said

"That sounds so cute!" I said. There was a knock on the door which causes Martha to wake from her nap. She ran to the door, wagging her tail. I laughed and walked to the door.

"Someone really loves having company over" I said, giving Martha pets. She licked my hand in return. I opened the door revealing Maude, Albert and Lillian.

"Oh my! Look at you!" Maude said, referring to my very pregnant stomach.

"I know. Just three more months and then Stella is ready for the world" I said

"Stella? You two are having a girl?" Albert asked

"That's what our hearts are telling us" I said.

"Where's Ethel and Mary?" Lillian asked.

"They're out in the barn with Paul" I said

"I'll show you the way Lilly" Helen asked. She held out her hand for Lillian and she took it. They then separated from us.

"I'm so happy you guys could make it out" I said.

"Did you really think we were going to miss your husband's birthday dinner?" Maude asked.

"Of coarse not" I said

"And besides, Lillian was really looking forward to seeing Ethel and Mary" Albert said.

"Love?" I heard Paul call for me. I turned around and saw Paul walking towards us.

"Yes honey?" I asked. He was about to open his mouth to say something when he saw Maude and Albert.

"I was wondering why Lilly was here. Now I know why" Paul said

"I invited them out for your birthday. I figured it'd be nice to have some friends around" I said. Paul smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"Thanks, love" he said. I kissed him on the cheek.

"Anything for you" I said

~

The four of us sat and ate dinner. I cooked it meaning it was vegetarian.

"So, what made you two decided to become vegetarians?" Albert asked

"Well Linda is a vegetarian so she kind of inspired me. Paul became a vegetarian because he is such a supportive husband" I said, placing my hand over his. He looked over at me and smiled.

"You two are just so perfect! You have a marriage that every couple dreams of having" Maude said

"We're just like any other married couple that love each other" Paul said

"Yeah. You two are married and totally in love with each other. Your marriage is a dream as well" I said. Maude and Albert gave each other a look.

"What's wrong?" Paul asked

"Well, our marriage wasn't always so perfect" Albert said

"When it started out, we were in quite the honeymoon phase" Maude said

"That lasted for almost a whole year" Alberta said.

"Then we soon found out that I was pregnant" Maude said

"It was around that time that we started arguing, bickering and ignoring each other for awhile" Albert said

"We were considering a divorce but with a baby on the way, that wasn't really an option. Instead, we decided to see a marriage councillor" Maude said

"We talked to him about what was going on and then he suggested that we do a trial separation" Albert said.

"A trail separation?" I asked. Both of them nodded.

"So we tried it and it lasted for about nine months" Albert said

"We ended the trial separation the day Lillian was born. The moment we saw our beautiful baby girl, we realized how much she needed both of us and just how much we needed each other" Maude said. The couple looked over at each other and smiled.

"Having children is the best part in any marriage" Albert said

"I'd have to agree with that" Paul said, placing his hand over my stomach. I smiled and placed my hand over his. Paul then suddenly let out a gasp.

"What?" I asked

"I felt her kick" Paul said

"She's saying hi to her daddy" I said. Just then, I could hear the clinking of heels on the floor.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Ethel called for us. She walked up to us, wearing a princess costume. Mary and Lillian were dressed like princesses as well.

"Don't you three look adorably royal" I said. Ethel stood beside Paul while Mary stood beside me. Maude and Albert looked in awe at their daughter.

"Lillian! You look so adorable!" Maude said. Lillian smiled and walked over to her parents. Helen joined us, dressed up as a princess as well.

"Helen, you make a lovely princess as well" I said

"Helen isn't a princess. She's a queen" Ethel said. Helen had a proud and smug look on her face.

"Hear that, I'm a queen" Helen said.

"Queen Helen. It's got a nice ring to it" Paul said.

"Queen Helen, can you knight mommy and daddy?" Ethel asked. Helen looked at us with a smile on her face.

"I don't see why not. If you two could please rise" Helen said. Paul and I followed Queen Helen's orders.

"Princess Ethel, would you please get me the royal stick?" Helen asked. Ethel nodded and ran off to get the royal stick. She came back with a cardboard tube that used to have wrapping paper on it. She gave it to Helen.

"If I could have you two kneel for me please" Helen said. Paul and I did just that. Helen stood in front of Paul first.

"I hereby knight you as Sir Paul McCartney" Helen said, touching both of his shoulders with the tube. Then she stood in front of me.

"I hereby knight you as Dame Alice McCartney" Helen said, touching my shoulders with the tube.

"You may now stand" Helen said. Paul and I both stood up. Maude and Albert started clapping.

"Now that business is conducted here, my fellow princesses and I have a very important tea party to get back to" Helen said. The girls followed Helen back to the tea party. Paul and I turned to each other and smiled.

"That was fun. I just got knighted on my birthday" Paul said.