Chapter 27

Alice's P.O.V

December 31, 1970

I woke up early that morning. I went to the bathroom and after I was finished, I quietly sneaked past the bedroom where Paul was still sleeping soundly. I crept into Laura and Arthur's room. I walked over to Laura's side. I crouched down and looked at her sleeping face.

"Laura?" I spoke. Laura didn't budge. I blew on her face to try and wake her up. Her eyes fluttered open.

"Morning" Laura said groggily.

"I need to tell you something" I said

"Can't it wait?" Laura asked

"No it can't" I said. Laura then sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Okay then, what do you need to tell me?" Laura asked

"I'm late" I said.

"When you say late...do you mean-" I cut Laura off.

"Yes" I said

"YOU'RE PREGNANT!" Laura screamed, waking Arthur up.

"Who's pregnant?" Arthur asked

"Alice is pregnant!" Laura said, pulling me onto the bed.

"Hang on here. I just said I was late. It doesn't mean I'm pregnant for sure" I said

"Take a pregnancy test! There's a couple stashed in the bathroom under the sink" Laura said

"Fine, but no telling anyone else, especially Paul. If he thinks I'm pregnant and it turns out to be a false alarm, I don't want him to be upset" I said

"Our lips are sealed" Laura said. I went to the bathroom and pulled out the pregnancy test.

~

When I finished and checked my result, I got out of the bathroom only to be greeted by Paul.

"You were in there awhile, love. Are you alright?" Paul asked. I let a smile show.

"I'm fine" I said

"What are you so happy about?" Paul asked

"I'll tell you later" I said, cupping his cheeks and pulling him into a kiss.

~

I was in the kitchen telling Heather and Ethel my news.

"Now Ethel, you can't tell daddy yet. Heather, no telling Uncle Paul" I said

"Okay mommy" Ethel said. Linda came into the kitchen and began preparing herself a cup of tea.

"Can I tell mommy?" Heather asked. I nodded. Heather walked over to Linda and tugged on her shirt.

"What is it Heather?" Linda asked

"I need to whisper in your ear" Heather said. Linda crouched down and Heather brought her lips to her ear, cupping her hands.

"Really?" Linda said after Heather told her.

"Auntie told me herself" Heather said. Linda looked up at me and smiled.

"Have you told Paul yet?" Linda asked

"I'm going to wait until the party tonight" I said.

"Can we come!?" both Ethel and Heather said.

"It's an adult party. You're going to stay with Laura" I said as she walked in the kitchen.

"Yeah kids. We're gonna have fun. We'll get drunk off of juice and get high off of sugar" Laura said. I smacked her in the back of the head.

"What?" Laura asked

"Don't talk to the kids like that" I said

"I talk to Walter like that. He knows I'm only joking" Laura said

"That's because he's your son" I said. When Paul walked in, the girls looked at him and then back to each other, shushing each other. Paul raised his eyebrows.

"You two are acting suspicious" Paul said. The girls looked at each other like they had been caught stealing a cookie out of the jar, and then ran out of the kitchen. Paul walked up to me, wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Do you know what's going on with those two?" Paul asked

"I gave them coffee for the first time" Laura randomly said. I smacked her head again.

"Ow. If you keep hitting me like that, I'm going to lose my knowledge of math" Laura said.

~

I was getting ready for Ethan and Francie's New Years party. It was just going to be me, Paul, Linda, Joseph, Ethan and Francie.

"You look absolutely gorgeous love" Paul said when he walked into the room. I smiled and turned around to face him. He looked really handsome. He was wearing a white dress shirt, with the sleeves rolled up and the first few buttons undone so some of chest was exposed. He was wearing jeans to go with it. The thing that really made it though was his hair. It was a little longer than usual but it just made him even more handsome.

"Thank you. You look very handsome" I said. Paul walked up to me and placed his hands on my waist and pulled me into a heated kiss.

"Paul" I mumbled against his lips. He ran his hands all along the curves of my body causing me moan. I moved my hand to his hair and tangled my fingers within it. When Paul pulled away, he buried his face against my neck.

"I love you so much" he mumbled

"I love you too" I said

~

When we got there, we were cheerfully greeted by Ethan and Francie.

"Hello McCartney's. Hello Anderson's. Please come in" Francie said

"We're really happy you could make it. You can help yourself to any food and beverage" Ethan said. We stepped inside and Paul immediately pulled me into the kitchen.

"How about some wine, love?" Paul asked

"No thanks" I said

"If you're afraid of getting drunk, I'll make sure you don't drink too much" Paul said

"No, no. It's not that. It's for another reason" I said

"Well, what is it?" Paul asked. I smiled and grabbed his hands.

"I'll tell you when it's 1971" I said.

~

I decided to go outside for a bit. It was only minutes away from the start of a new year. I closed my eyes as I felt the cool breeze hit my face and blow my hair back.

"There you are. I was looking for you" I heard Paul say. I looked at him as he sat beside me.

"I just came out here to think" I said. Paul wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him.

"Think about what, love?" Paul asked.

"The fact that we're going to have another little McCartney" I said. Paul turned his head to look at me.

"You're pregnant?" Paul asked with joy in his voice. Off in the distance, I could see fireworks going off.

"Happy New Year" I said, leaning in and giving my husband our first kiss of 1971.