Chapter 34

Alice's P.O.V

I woke up the next morning with Paul's arm wrapped around my waist. I looked at him and smiled. I carefully got up and covered myself with my discarded clothes from last night. When I left the tent, I saw that George, Pattie, Ringo and Maureen had started a fire and were sitting around it.

"Morning" I said. They all looked at me and smiled.

"Morning" they all said in unison.

"Where are you headed off to?" George asked.

"Just to the lake" I said

"Have fun Alice" Ringo said

"I'll try even though I'm not much of a morning person" I said. I then made my way to the lake. I sat close to the water. I took my shoes off my feet and let my feet soak in the water. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the breeze when I felt something whipping at my side. I opened my eyes and saw Martha.

"Hey Martha" I said. She sat down beside me and I gave her pets.

"There you are Martha" I heard Laura behind me

"She's fine. She just came to say-what the hell happened to you!?" I said. Laura was covered in rashes and scratches.

"Oh, all this. Last night I fell into some poison ivy and then I felt into one of those prickly bushes. Those two mixed together do not feel good" Laura said.

"Did any of the kids fall in?" I asked

"No. Once I got up, I told them the bushes were evil and that they would steal their candy" Laura said. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"And?" I asked

"They ran away screaming" Laura said

"Oh, that's what all those tiny screams were last night" I said

"I heard screams last night too, and it wasn't coming from the children" Laura said. Laura started scratching at her arm and she winced in pain.

"Did you disinfect your cuts last night?" I asked

"No. Helen asked if I was alright and I just said yeah so she wasn't all that concerned and honestly, I wasn't either" Laura said.

"And do you regret saying that?" I asked

"Yeah. It feels like I'm sitting in a tub of ice, barbed wire and salt" Laura said. I stood up and put my shoes back on.

"There's a first aid kit in the house. I'll clean up the cuts and I'll put something on to help with the itching.

~

I brought Laura inside and sat her down in the kitchen. Then I went off to find the first aid kit. When I found it, I went back to Laura and sat down beside her. I opened the kit and got out some disinfectant wipes.

"I'm going to disinfect the cuts so it may sting a bit" I said

"I'm a big girl, I can... No! It stings! Get it off!" Laura said

"Laura?" I said

"Yeah?" she replied

"I haven't wiped anything yet" I said

"Oh, I knew that" Laura said. I rolled my eyes and started wiping the scratches. Laura would wince in pain every so often but she got through it.

"That should help with the cuts? Do you itch?" I asked

"Yeah" Laura said

"Alright. I know what will help with that" I said. I went to the bathroom and got a bottle of aloe vera that I kept around. When I joined Laura again, I applied some of it to the areas where she itched.

"That feels so much better" Laura said.

"I thought it might" I said

"Am I contagious?" Laura asked

"You're good" I said

"Good because I wanted to do this" Laura said and then she hugged me. When she let me go, she rushed back outside. I smiled to myself. I would've made a perfect nurse.

"Hey, is Laura okay? She looks all red and she's covered in scratches" Linda asked as she joined me inside.

"Yeah. She just fell into a poison ivy bush last night and then into one of those prickly bushes" I said

"That's very unfortunate" Linda said

"But she's alright. I treated her cuts and her rashes" I said

"So Paul talked to me last night" Linda said

"Okay?" I said

"He told me that you were interested in acting again" Linda said

"I am" I said

"But the way he talked about it, made it seem like he wasn't really supportive of it" Linda said

"Why wouldn't he be? We talked about it last night and he seemed all for it when we worked some stuff out" I said

"Well, knowing how much he loves you, he really wants you to do this and he wants to be a really supportive husband. He's probably just scared that if you do this, you won't be spending as much time with him" Linda said

"I promised Paul, family comes before filming. When we start our band and touring and filming overlap, touring with him is my priority" I said. Linda smiled.

"He's so lucky to have you as his wife" she said.

"How about we go back outside?" I said

"Alright" Linda said. Linda and I went outside. I immediately saw Paul sitting with Mary in his lap. He was sitting beside Cynthia and was chatting with her.

"You go sit with your husband. Joseph's still in the tent so I'm going to join him" Linda said. I nodded and she went over to her tent. I walked over Cynthia and Paul and sat beside my husband. Cynthia looked at me and smiled.

"Hi Alice" Cynthia said. Paul then looked at me and smiled.

"There you are, love. I woke up and saw that you weren't with me. I started to worry a bit" Paul said

"I just went inside for a bit. Laura had a bit of an incident last night and she needed me to treat some stuff" I said. I managed to catch a glance at Laura who was scratching at her arm again.

"Don't scratch Laura! You'll make it worse!" I shouted at her. She quickly stopped scratching her arm.

"So anyways, where's our other daughter?" I asked

"She's still sleeping in the kids tent" Paul said

"She and Julian were cuddling with each other. It was so cute!" Cynthia said.

"What's it going to be like when their married, Cyn?" I asked

"They'll marry, even if I have to make it so" Cynthia said

"My goodness Cynthia" I said with a laugh

"I agree with Cynthia. At least I'd have a son in law I approve of" Paul said

"I guess I want them together as well. I know Julian wouldn't break her heart" I said. Who knows? Maybe Ethel and Julian will end up falling in love and then eventually get married. Only time will tell.