Chapter 61

Alice's P.O.V

August 29, 1972

We were at the airport, waiting for our flight to go home. Paul had requested that we get a private plane so we could have some privacy. While Paul and I decided that us and the kids were going back to Scotland, Helen was going to go back to London with Denny. She stood in front of us, holding her bag.

"We're going to miss you Helen" I said.

"I'm going to miss you guys too" Helen said

"Will you still visit us?" Ethel asked.

"Of coarse I will! I have a feeling we'll be visiting each other a lot. Your mommy and daddy will have to come to London to work on albums and when they start touring again, we'll be spending time together" Helen said. Ethel smiled and then hugged Helen.

"I love you Helen" Ethel said

"Aww, I love you too" Helen said. When Ethel let go of her, Helen's attention turned to Mary.

"Mary, be good for mommy and daddy. I'll miss you" Helen said

"You too" Mary said. Helen smiled and then looked at Stella, who was cradled in my arms.

"And you Miss Stella, I'm going to miss you as well" Helen said. Stella grinned at Helen. Martha barked to get Helen's attention.

"Yes, I'll miss you too Martha" Helen said, giving Martha pets. Denny walked up to Helen.

"Our plane is here" he said. Helen nodded.

"Thanks for everything you two" Helen said

"Thanks for being apart of the family. We all wish you good luck" Paul said. Helen smiled at us before grabbing Denny's hand and they went off to catch their flight.

"Now we just wait for our flight" Paul said

~

During our flight, the girls fell asleep. They were exhausted as they woke up really early so we could get to the airport. It was a long drive. Ethel and Mary had fallen asleep in their seats. Mary managed to slump over so she was using Ethel's legs as a pillow. Ethel's arms were around her to prevent her from falling. Stella was sleeping in her baby basket. Martha was in the seat to my left and she also managed to fall asleep. I smiled at my sleeping girls.

"What's got you so happy, love?" Paul asked, sitting in the seat to my right.

"Our girls. They look peaceful when they sleep" I said. Paul looked at the girls and smiled.

"They were really tired. They kept trying to stay awake in the car" Paul said. I grabbed Paul's hand and put my head on his shoulder.

"I'm happy to be heading home" I said

"Me too, love" Paul said. I felt my eyes closing. I also felt Paul's head rest on my own. We both drifted off to sleep.

~

Once we landed, we were picked up and taken to the farm. I felt a rush of happiness when I stepped into the house.

"It's so good to be home" I said

"Take it in now because I'm taking you somewhere" Paul said

"Where?" I asked.

"It's a surprise, love" Paul said. He then gave me a kiss and walked off.

~

Paul drove us along the countryside. He was heading in the direction of the town. I listened as Ethel told her sisters a story, and I would catch glimpses of Martha sticking her head out the window. Both were very entertaining.

"Paul?"

"Yes, love?" Paul asked

"Will you please tell me why we're going into town?" I asked

"I told you, it's a surprise for you and the girls. We'll be there soon, love. Just be patient" Paul said. I sighed and then continued to stare out the window.

~

It seemed like forever but we finally made it into town. There wasn't that many people out but I suppose that's a good thing considering we are the McCartney family. Paul had stopped us in front of an animal shelter.

"Paul? Are we doing what I think we're doing?" I asked

"I made I promise to you. Today's the day we adopt a cat" Paul said

"We're getting a kitty!" Ethel screamed in excitement.

"That we are, little one. Now let's go inside and find our perfect cat" Paul said.

~

Once we were inside, we were taken to where all the cats were kept. There were so many cats to choose from but one in particular caught my eye. It was a kitten that had black fur and had white patches around it's eyes. It looked just like the cat I had when I was younger.

"I love this one" I said. Paul walked up to me.

"She's a cute kitty" Paul said

"She looks just like the cat I had when I was younger. We named her Flower because when we first got her, she loved to chew on them for some reason" I said

"Is this the one you want?" Paul asked

"Yes. I'm going to name her Flower after the older cat" I said.

"Alright then. We'll take her" Paul said. Ethel and Mary walked up to us.

"Mommy! Did you pick a kitty?" Ethel asked. I nodded and pointed to Flower.

"I like her!" Ethel said

~

Once all the paperwork and the adoption process was complete, we took Flower to the car to meet Martha. I hoped that Martha wouldn't mind having a cat around. As soon as we were at the car, Martha stuck her head out the window.

"Martha, we have someone we'd like you to meet. Be nice to her" I said. I showed Flower to Martha. Martha started sniffing Flower. I could feel Flower purring. That must mean she liked Martha. When Martha was done inspecting the new family member, she started wagging her tail.

"I think Martha likes her" Paul commented

"And I think Flower liked Martha. She was purring when Martha was sniffing her" I said

"See? I told you Martha would like her" Paul said

"Mommy, can Flower sit with us for the ride?" Ethel asked

"I don't see why not" I said. We all got inside the car. Once the girls were settled in, I gave Flower to Ethel. She curled up right on her lap. I smiled and the drive home started.