Chapter 103

Alice's P.O.V

August 14, 1973

It was the weekend which meant we had the day off. When I woke up, I felt a little hot and light headed so I decided to have a soak in the bath. When I got to the bathroom, I ran the water and undressed myself. Once the tub was full enough, I turned off the tub and stepped into the tub.

"Love, where are you?" I heard Paul calling for me.

"I'm having a bath!" I said. Seconds later, Paul came into the bathroom.

"Can you wash my hair for me?" I asked. Paul nodded and he kneeled next to the tub. He grabbed the bottle of shampoo and squirted some into his hand. I dipped my head in the water, making sure my hair was wet. He began massaging my scalp.

"Are you alright, love?" Paul asked

"Yeah. Why do you ask?" I said

"You're looking a little pale. You don't have the flu, do you?" Paul asked

"I'm fine. I was just feeling a little hot and light headed when I woke up, so I thought a bath would do me good" I said. Suddenly, I felt a nauseous feeling in my stomach. I squirmed and put my hand to my stomach.

"Are you alright?" Paul asked.

"Y-yeah" I said.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Ethel cried for us. She sounded like she was in distress.

"I'll go check up on her" Paul said. I nodded. Just as Paul left, I felt the need to throw up. I leaned over the edge of the tub and threw up into the toilet. A few minutes later, Paul came into the bathroom just as I threw up again.

"You too?" Paul asked.

"What do you mean too?" I asked.

"Ethel is throwing up as well, and she has a temperature" Paul explained. He reached out and put his hand to my forehead.

"You're burning up, love!" Paul said. I responded by groaning in agony.

"Let me rinse your hair and then get you back to bed" Paul said

~

Once I was dressed, Paul put me back to bed.

"I'll go get you something to eat" Paul said. As soon as he left, I heard Ethel vomiting from across the hall.

"Ethel" I called for her. I heard her footsteps approaching and she looked just as sickly as I was.

"Yes, mommy?" she asked.

"Come and lay in bed with me. We can be sick together" I said. She nodded and climbed into be with me. Paul came back into the room carrying a plate of toast.

"Here you go, love. This should be easy on your stomach" Paul said. I took the plate from him.

"Daddy, can you get me some juice?" Ethel asked.

"Of coarse, little one" Paul said. He left the room once again. I broke off a piece of my toast and gave it to Ethel. She took it and began to nibble on it. Paul came back with a glass of juice. He gave it to Ethel.

"Thank you daddy" she said and took a sip from it.

"I'm going to tell Linda, Joseph, Helen and Denny we can't go sightseeing today" Paul said

"No, no. You can still take Mary and Stella. Just because we're sick, doesn't mean we have to keep you from sightseeing with them" I said

"Are you sure? What if something happens and I'm not here?" Paul asked

"We'll be fine. We're probably going to be napping mostly. Right, sweetie?" I said

"Yes. We'll be okay daddy" Ethel said

"Alright. I'll be back soon, alright?" Paul said. Both Ethel and I nodded. He kissed my head and then kissed Ethel's. He left the bedroom, closing the door behind me.

"Can we nap now mommy?" Ethel asked.

"A nap does sound good" I said. I let my eyes closed and I felt Ethel snuggled up to me. I wrapped my arms around her and stroked her hair as she drifted off to sleep.

~

When I woke up from my nap, I felt a little bit better. I noticed Ethel was still sleeping so I didn't bother waking her up. I went into the kitchen and began making some soup.

"Mommy?" I looked over and saw Ethel.

"Are you feeling alright?" I asked

"My head still hurts and I feel warm. My tummy doesn't hurt as much" Ethel said.

"That's good" Paul said

"Can I have some soup?" she asked

"It's almost finished. You can go into the living room and see what's on t.v" I said. Ethel nodded and shuffled into the living room. Once the soup was finished, I poured us both a bowl. I walked into the living room and gave a bowl to Ethel.

"Thank you mommy" she said. I smiled and sat beside her on the couch. She placed some of the blanket that was wrapped around her on my lap.

"Thanks, sweetie. You're so thoughtful" I said. She smiled at me before she began eating her soup.

~

It was around six when Paul came home with Mary and Stella. Ethel and I were still on the couch watching television.

"Hi daddy" Ethel said when she saw Paul.

"Hi little one. How are you and mommy feeling?" Paul asked

"Neither one have is have thrown up since we woke up from our nap" I said

"That's good" I said.

"Linda wants Mary and Stella to spend the night and I said they could" Paul said

"Can I spend the night with them too mommy?" Ethel asked.

"Are you feeling up to it?" I asked

"I am" Ethel said. I looked to Paul.

"Well?" I said

"If Ethel's feeling better, then I don't see why she can't. I know Linda and Joseph won't mind" Paul said

"Alright. Go pack clothes for the night" I said. Ethel nodded and ran to their room.

"I haven't seen my other two girls all day. Mommy needs hugs to make her feel better" I said, holding my arms open. Mary and Stella walked over to me. I picked them both up and sat them both in my lap.

"Are you okay mommy?" Mary asked

"Yes" I said.

"I'm ready to go!" Ethel said when she came back into the living room.

"Alright. I'll take them over" Paul said. I let Mary and Stella off of my lap. The three of them walked over to Paul and followed him out the door.