[One-Shot] Kankuro and Gaara's Concern

There was nothing but silence covering the two.

Shikamaru's arm was leaning on the blonde's back whilst pulling her close. There was no change in their facial expressions except Shikamaru had small blushes on his cheeks. He tried acting it out normally, but he couldn't hide the fact that his heart was beating fast. They had confessed, but not really sure how it would turn out officially since Kankuro seemed like he wasn't in the mood of accepting more people in the family.

"Hey, Shikamaru?" She called, looking up at him now.

Without verbally answering, Shikamaru just glanced at her as he waited for whatever she was going to say.

"I think Kankuro is still not okay with it."

The statement made him sigh mentally. "I can tell," he cheaply replied. "And I can understand why," continued the lad. "I came out as a lazy shinobi; my interest in women had gone lost long ago--I find them scary, annoying and troublesome," said the latter. "He was just being protective of you; you're like the only family they have."

Temari was surprised to actually hear Shikamaru form such an understanding attitude in him. All she could think of was... I wasn't wrong of choosing him, after all.

Gaara was okay with it; he had known since it was pretty oblivious to everyone, so as to Kankuro's. Yet, the puppeteer couldn't help but get annoyed. Temari had chosen him; there was probably something in him that made her fall for him like that. He had tried many times, finding out which something was that, but to no avail. Finding out nothing special about Shikamaru had annoyed him more.

The door creaked open, revealing a certain puppeteer they were talking about. He stopped right at the mouth of the door, eyes pinned at the two figures. Shikamaru and Temari weren't doing something unnecessary, but both of them stopped their future demeanours from occurring.

"Welcome b-"

The next thing the Nara knew was Kuro Ari, Karasu and Kankuro teaming up against him. A sweat fell from his temple and down to the path of his jaw. He had seen how Kankuro mercilessly killed people back then, and dealing with him right now is no joke.

"What do you think you're doing with my sister-jaan?!" He had executed another attack against Shikamaru.

All the pineapple-haired male could do was avoid him. It was pretty tough but he had to stay alive. Shikamaru was sure Kankuro was ready to kill him anytime he would please, and he couldn't let that happen. Not right now. He knew how he works with his puppets, but being caught by them was something he was avoiding as well.

"If you're really here with Temari because you love her, then prove it to me by staying alive-jaan!" He said, a rather devilish smirk ran onto his lips.

The sandy blonde couldn't do anything about it; she didn't want to hurt both people. Temari knows Kankuro's point and she could understand why he was being like that. She trusts Shikamaru well enough believing that he could survive her little brother's attacks. The female stayed at a corner, as she watched both of them in silence.

Geez, why is Kankuro being so aggravated about this? If he doesn't like me being his sister's boyfriend, he could just say so. It'll be easier. Does he really hate me that much he's trying to kill me right now? The lad's hues scanned the small house. Seventy-five percent of it was already damaged. I need to think of something. Shikamaru, think!

His feet had dragged him outside the Sand Siblings' home. Without hesitations, Kankuro had followed, his puppets still attacking the latter. Shit. More time consumed, I'll get weary and Kankuro's puppets would be able to reach me in no time. I have to think! The lad took a deep breath. "Alright, fine!" The small shout he had done made Kankuro stopped on his tracks.

"..?"

"I love Temari! I love her and I will marry her!"

Surprised, there was nothing Temari could say but a little "Wh-" escaped her lips. This time, a small blush appeared on her cheeks. She wasn't expecting this; not this kind of proposal.

Eyes pinned at Kankuro; a sweat still running from his temple down his jaw. He stopped. I thought I was a goner. Shikamaru patiently waited there, getting ready if ever the puppeteer was planning to continue killing him despite the awkward atmosphere around Temari. What now, Kankuro?

His hands dropped; Kuro Ari and Karasu returned to their shelter. Kankuro sighed. "...I'm convinced," he said, orbs now at the slim pineapple-haired male. "However, if I've seen Temari crying and finding out it's because of you, there would be no next day for you-jaan."

You know, it's really such a good thing we're allies with people like Kankuro and Gaara. Mentally, Shikamaru wiped the sweat that had been falling non-stop from his forehead. "Yeah, yeah. I get it," lazily replied the latter.

Temari was left there, still surprised. In all of the intelligence she had, she kept analysing if what Shikamaru said was true.

"Hey," called Shikamaru, which made the blonde jolt in surprise. "If...you're wondering if marrying you was just my way of escaping Kankuro's wrath, you're a percent correct. If you're thinking if what I said was true, then you're ninety-nine percent correct," he scratched the back of his head shyly, gazes shifting to the side.

"...So," with all her might, she tried speaking. In all honesty, it was hard for her; she didn't think of this happening, at least not in Kankuro's way. "Then if you're thinking I would say no, you're wrong. I would actually say it otherwise."

"?!" A small gasp was let out by Shikamaru, eyes slightly wide. "Te-"

But before he could speak again, a squeal from a familiar blonde female from his team was heard.

"Kyaa! I can't believe Kankuro's help was needed!"

Kankuro's help?

Both turned to their backs, only to find out the villagers and their friends gathering around them. All of them had smiles of awe in their lips, others were teary.

"Ino, what do you mean by 'Kankuro's help'?"

"Well," shrugged Ino. "Why don't you ask Kankuro himself?" She said, pointing at the guy beside her using the movement of her hues.

"This was Gaara's plan," he sighed. "Temari has been talking a lot about marrying and having children whenever we're all gathered for dinner. We couldn't explain the smile she had on her lips, but we could tell it was something along the line of being happy. She kept asking both of us if it would be okay to have a family of her own, us having nieces and nephews. Then-"

"I called Kankuro for a meeting," Gaara said as he appeared out of nowhere. "I wanted to help our big sister; so we both planned for this," he glanced at the puppeteer, then returned it to both Temari and Shikamaru. "We wanted to see if you wanted to marry Temari; and knowing that you'd do put both of us at ease."

"You didn't have to do this, Kankuro, Gaara," commented Temari.

"They had to; or it would take years before Shikamaru gets the guts to propose to the person he's scared for, finds troublesome and scary," Said Chouji before returning from munching his food.

Honestly, I'm thankful. It won't be hard for both of us to show affection in public now, will it? Said Shikamaru, eyes pinned at the sandy blonde female hugging her little brothers.