Chapter 5: Both Sides

The inn keeper bowed as a sign of her respect towards the two, "Sorry but the inn is full at the moment. Try those ones nearby, they might have a room for one," her sad facial expression could fully explain her disbelief since she couldn't give a room for Temari.

Even so, the Suna's Princess thanked her, showing her appreciation for trying to find vacant one for the blonde.

Shikamaru sighed, unsure why the inns had suddenly been occupied. He scratched the back of his head, usual expression was on his face. "I have no choice, then," he said, making the other look at him. "The sky's getting darker and darker, it would rain soon. I don't want to abandon the person I'm escorting somewhere randomly. Besides, it's my duty for you to be safe. It's a drag but..."

"Shikamaru, do you remember that your mission of escorting me has ended?" There was a light chuckle that escaped her lips.

It snapped back to him, but regained his composure. "I'm aware, but I couldn't just leave you behind. I'm the person with you now, no one else is around. I don't see the point why I should stop escorting you. Or at least, helping you out. We're allies, anyway."

Both continued walking forward, no one knows to where exactly, but they proceeded. They stopped in a place, the house looked like it's for a rich person, or in this time, a man with a strong clan. "Why did we stop?" Temari asked, looking up at the male.

"You're gonna stay here until the bridge leading to Suna's passable. It would be a drag if I make you transfer to a hotel in the middle of your stay here, so you're going to stay here until Gaara says you have to go back," ordered the male. Before they could even speak, the door opened before them.

"Shikamaru, we were looking for-," before the third person could continue his statement, he was too surprised to see the Ambassador to Konohagakure standing beside his son. "Temari of Suna?"

The female flashed a smile towards him. "Good day, Shikaku-san."

Even though in that state, Shikaku maintained his posture. "Get in before it rains."

Shikamaru let Temari in first; his father's and his own hues met. There was this look Shikaku gave Shikamaru as if he's sensing something else. His son returned it with a 'what's wrong with him' facial expression.

All of them had proceeded to the living room, the two young ones were sitting across Shikaku, therefore, facing him. Before Shikaku could speak, Yoshino came rushing down, a bowl was resting on her arms. It would seem she was cooking.

There was a moment of silence; her orbs darted to Shikamaru, Temari, Shikaku, then Temari back to Shikamaru. "If it isn't the Princess of Suna!" She greeted and approached the younger female excitedly. "Oh. Is Shikamaru here to introduce you to us for the upcoming wedding?"

"What wedding-"

Shikamaru almost fell off from his chair, but he regained balance. "Mom, what are you talking about? Geez, it's not like that," he replied, rebutting the untrue. A sigh escaped his lips before continuing. "Surprisingly, all of the inns we went to are closed or full today. I've got no choice; I couldn't just let her go back to Suna knowing it's gonna rain soon. So, I brought her here."

Yoshino gave Shikamaru a suspscious look.

The teen was taken aback. "...What..?"

Shikaku stood from his chair, swung his right arm behind Shikamaru after letting him stand, then glanced at the two girls. "I will borrow Shikamaru for a bit," then, he nodded at Yoshino. His wife nodded back as if they had the same thing in mind.

Arms crossed over his chest, Shikaku began the discussion. "Shikamaru, is there something you gotta tell me and your mom?"

"Dad, it's not like that! Like I've said-"

"Inoichi told me about it."

"Told you about what..?" His tone sounded like he knew what his father was about to tell him.

--

Sitting beside Temari, Yoshino began breaking the ice. It would seem the shinobi of Suna has been quiet since the two men left. "Temari, I was wondering," she said, then placed the bowl in her arms down on the table resting in front of them. "What do you think of my son?"

The younger female flinched a bit. It took her a few seconds before finally making her response. A piece of sweat was shown on the side of her temple, telling that the question was sudden. "Shikamaru? He's fine; if he stops complaining about things being so troublesome, he could be a jounin in no time."

Shikamaru's mother chuckled. "I see. But what I meant was, what do you think about Shikamaru? As a man. Have you put a bit liking to him, at least?" Revising it more for Temari to understand better, Yoshino proceeded. "I mean, you two are always together, even if a mission wasn't given. Besides, Shikamaru would always mention your name.

"Where did you go, Shikamaru?" Asked Yoshino.

"Ah, just in the Yakiniku Q. I assumed she's hungry so I treated her there. Besides, my salary is high enough to buy a piece of barbeque."

There would also be a time that...

Yoshino saw Shikamaru making his way out of the house. Curious enough, she asked him. "Where are you going?"

"At the gates of Konoha."

"Why? A mission was given to you?"

"No, mom. Temari's on her way here, and I have to make sure she'll arrive safely."

"Shikamaru," the older one sighed. "Izumo and Kotetsu are there. They could see her there; she's definitely safe once she arrives here, of course, she's a shinobi of Suna, on top of that, the best wind user around the world. You're the type of person who doesn't stick his nose into other people's businesses, and would most probably avoid being in a mission that wasn't even given to you in the first place. Isn't it normal if Temari arrives here? Why are you getting so worked up about her arrival?"

Avoiding the series of questions, Shikamaru continued outwards. The only thing Yoshino saw was small pink tints were on the side of his cheeks.

But it would be better if he's the one who'll tell you about it. As his mother, I am just here to support him."

Temari nodded. "I get your point. If he doesn't have anything for me, he could just tell you guys," she replied, still stern. "As for answering your question... I don't know if I have something special for him. What I do know is... I'm aware that I quite act soft around him, compared to how I treat the other guys around me."

"Isn't that nice?!" Exclaimed Yoshino rather happily. "It's probably a 'liking Shikamaru in-progress' feeling!"

Unsure to reply or not, Temari just nodded. "...Maybe."

Right after the girls' talk had ended, Shikaku and Shikamaru arrived back to the living room. "How did the men's talk go?" Asked Shikamaru's mother. No one replied. That was the time she made another question. "Shikamaru, what do you think of Temari?"

"Wha-?! That again, mom?" Replied Shikamaru, hues were a bit furrowed.

"We all know you dooo!" Insisted his mother. She swung her right arm behind him, almost choking him to death. "You just have to be honest!" Continued the female, a grin was on her lips.

Temari chuckled at the views of Shikamaru being somehow 'tormented' by his own mother. However, Shikaku remained on a distance, arms crossed on his chest. He was just smiling at how close the two were, and began admiring how he actually loves his family.

Upon seeing and hearing Temari's smiles and reactions, Shikamaru glanced away to the side, small blushes were on the side of his cheeks once again. Unfortunately, Temari wasn't able to see it since she didn't take Yoshino's question seriously.

She had more important things to do and handle before her own feelings. Besides, she shouldn't let emotions overcome her; being a shinobi doesn't require feelings for others. And as a shinobi of Suna, she shouldn't be soft around people.