Chapter 29: A Different Way

Both stopped in a wide-opened area, their eyes scanning it after. "Guess this will do," commented Shikamaru. From the opposite side where Temari was standing was what Shikamaru chose to be his territory. "I'll be here," he said from quite afar, facing the blonde lass. "By the way, Sakura forgot to mention that Daimaru was sealed out as well. They found the body lying on the ground after Jinbou's defeat. Don't worry now."

"I see," teal hues looked straight at him. "Attack whenever you're ready."

Shikamaru knew she was obviously provoking him. However, it was replied with a sexist one like the usual. "Shouldn't girls attack first?"

"It doesn't matter if we're in the battlefield," said Temari rather cockily, her right arm on top of her closed tessen as if using it for support. She was clearly telling Shikamaru to attack first.

Now I'm not really sure how to start this. Why did I even said something like battling her again, when it's supposedly her telling me that since she was the one who was defeated? The lad mentally scratched the back of his head in annoyance. Well, whatever. I just have to get through this. "Don't blame me if you get hurt," he provoked back.

The blonde smirked. "We'll see."

Shikamaru began pulling out three kunais from his pocket and threw it towards Temari which the female blocked as easily as how she turned down Daimaru when he was reanimated. After doing so, the lad began running around Temari, looking for a way how he could use his shadows to control her. Temari never failed to see this coming, thus she didn't remove her teal hues off of him. She kept avoiding the latter.

Tch. She clicked her tongue in annoyance and began opening her tessen wide. It released strong winds, breaking the trees that block its way.

It's time! Shikamaru intentionally let himself be hit by her attacks. After a second, he disappeared.

The sandy blonde sighed. "Seriously, Shikamaru. How many years has it been? Stop hiding."

"I'm not hiding. This is a part of my strategy," he explained. Because it really is.

"What has gotten into you? You seem like you're not using your brain that much lately. Have you forgotten that hearing your voice would tell me where exactly you are hiding?" A smirk crossed on her lips. "Take this!" Then, she swung her fan once again, emitting strong winds from it.

Luckily, Shikamaru chose a quite reliable tree and it didn't fall that quick.

"Are you going to keep hiding? This will get us to nowhere, Shikamaru," said Temari, getting tired of the way how his strategy works.

"Of course not," shortly, he revealed himself. The pineapple-haired male ran straight towards his girlfriend, hands ready to pull out weapons from his small pockets and attack her. He wasn't holding back, so as Temari.

The ninja of Suna readied her tessen open, soon would hit the man once he enters its range. One more step and he did, Temari adjusting her arms backwards to make one full, strong swing. Yet, the man vanished from her sight, appeared from behind and successfully executed his signature technique, Shadow Manipulation.

He can't be that quick! This can't be! Temari told herself; she just really couldn't believe it. I can't let what happened back in the Chuunin Exams happen here again. But no matter how she retaliated from Shikamaru's shadows, it was no use.

Shikamaru smirked, then walked towards Temari, the female doing the same. She closed her eyes, readying herself to be attacked at any moment.

However, the lazy ninja's shadows pulled off. Then, he stopped upon getting the perfect distance of kneeling before her. He knelt. "Will you marry me?" The lad asked, his hands pulling out a small box containing a ring--which she thought was an explosive shuriken before.

"Wh-..? Shikamaru, you...?"

"Well... Yeah," embarrassed, he answered. "If you feel like you're being hurried, you could just rej-"

"Don't jump into conclusions," said Temari, her voice the rough one like the usual.

"So... Is it a-"

"I thought you're smart, Shikamaru," joked Temari. "Of course. I had been waiting for this, and didn't expect that it would actually come."

Somehow, Shikamaru was feeling quite nervous. He held Temari's hand and inserted the ring on her finger. This was the first time he had done something like this in his life, and that probably explains why he was feeling this way. Whilst Shikamaru was doing his thing, the sandy blonde spoke once again. "I still can't believe you had to come up with a lame plan just to propose."

The man gazed away, then stood from kneeling on the ground. He then scratched the back of his head, looking away in embarrassment. "It happens for a reason."

"Does Yoshino-san know this?"

"More likely, she expected this happening. So, when she finds out I proposed to you, pretty much she wouldn't be surprised."

---

Years had passed, and what Shikamaru thought was actually the other way around...

"Good evening, mum," greeted Shikamaru as Yoshino opened the door for him to get in. Temari was actually with him.

"Good evening, Shikamaru. What seems to be the matter? Why is Temari of Suna with you?" His mother looked at him rather suspiciously; she never failed to tease his son. "Oh, you're here to tell me that you and Temari are already together, huh? I knew I'm right."

"Nah, you're wrong, mum. It's actually more than that."

"Don't tell me-"

"Yeah, I proposed to her; we're getting married."

"You--!" Yoshino pulled Shikamaru's ears and began giving him an earful. "Without telling your mother about your plans?! I could have helped you out! Wait. You're getting married?!" Asked Yoshino after; it actually just sunk in her that her son and the daughter of Suna's previous Kazekage would get married soon.

"You heard me right this time."

"You're getting married?!" Yoshino rushed outside her home and began screaming like most mothers do. "Everyone, my son's getting married to Temari of Suna!"

"Congratulations!"

"Shikamaru getting married?" Repeated Chouji.

"Finally, Shikamaru proposed!" Ino said then.

Temari turned to Shikamaru. "I guess she wasn't really expecting that someone like you, who thinks girls are a pain in the ass and basically has no interest in anyone, would be able to marry someone you once thought was annoying, noisy and scary."

"Stop bringing up the past," said Shikamaru, scratching the back of his head.

"Shikamaru!" Yoshino hit her son's head. "You're making your father and this whole village proud!" Then, she turned to Temari. "Welcome to the Nara family, dear~"

Only a chuckle was let out by the strongest wind user.

"Now, you can call me your mother," Yoshino then playfully smiled at her. "I am expecting grandchildren," she whispered.

"Mum!" Said Shikamaru, stopping Yoshino from going further.

Both Temari and Yoshino laughed at the lad's reaction. The preparation for their wedding would be long...